Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cramp ruining my rides
  • peter1979
    Free Member

I started mountain biking around 2 and a bit years ago. At the beginning I had a couple of cases of cramp in my quadriceps, but nothing too much of a problem, mainly because I was only really doing <10Km rides, however I was unfit and overweight, 5’10” and 15 stone.

In the last 6 months or so it’s become much more of a problem for me, with cramps in my quads becoming an issue in every ride, to the point im stopping and really suffering with pain, my unsympathetic riding buddy leaves me for dust when I stop and I don’t really blame him. I have been doing longer rides, trail centre stuff like W2, or penhydd and y wal together, or verderers and freeminers, or today both trails at cwmcarn. I take it steady though, and break for a few minutes here and there.

I drink decent amounts of water (2 1/2 litres over 30km today). I now use an energy powder (high 5, 2:1). I’ve been taking magnesium after reading some bits that this may help. I take a bit of cake or chocolate on rides. I have lost over 2 stone in weight and feel more fit than I have felt in 15 years. I have played with seat height and stem length. I stretch often, before and during rides.

The cramps can come on at any point really, but mostly after around 20km’s and without warning.

Am i doomed to be cursed with cramps forever?

davewalsh
    Free Member

I suffer with the same cramps. Use Noon or High 5 Zero tablets in your drink (1 tablet per 500ml) and take a banana or two to snack on. Should sort it out.

stumpy01

I used to get cramps on longer rides, particularly on hilly off road routes. Any ride over a couple of hours now i always make sure i use Torq energy powder in my water. It’s the one i have found that doesn’t upset my guts and seems to reduce the amount of cramps i get.

You mention 2.5 litres of water over 30km. How long was that ride? I generally drink less than that; 2.5 litres sounds like a lot, unless was really hot?

taxi25
    Free Member

Second the banana thing. But not just during rides. Have a couple every day as a regular thing. If I lay of the bananas its not long before the cramps back 🙁

rowlapa1974
    Free Member

Loads of riders had really back leg cramps on the Dyfi today, my riding buddy was one of them but I was fine?
    We had similar ride build ups and both had water and torqs gels but he was f**ked with it.

Jamz
    Free Member

You could try more magnesium rich foods (bananas are one) in your diet and watch your calcium intake as it is antagonistic towards magnesium.

cbike
    Free Member

That’s a whole camelback! I’d be sick if I drank that much fluid in less than an hour! Or peeing everywhere!

2.5 litres is week in the alps for me. I must be a gerbil or something.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I’d check your diet and position on the bike. I notice you don’t mention the food your eating. You need hydrate before the ride. 500ml of plain water an hour before the ride should help. A high protein meal 2 hours before will fuel you. I would also look at the length of my stem and top tube. A more up right position may help. Something’s not right. I’m not a fan of gels and powders myself. I use plain water and my home made power bars.

hora
    Free Member

Bananas all day long. Potassium.

Dont touch unnatural crap ^

jonba
    Free Member

How long does it take you to ride 20km. You shouldn’t really have any problems at this time of year with hydration in what would be a couple of hours?

If it is your quads that are cramping it could well be your position. Your quads are activated if your seat is forward so try shift it back. They are also connected to your glutes and lower back. Are you inflexible – tight hamstrings or lower back issues could trigger it.

You can try magic potions if it makes you feel better but I doubt in your case they are going to sort the problem.

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2011/06/nutrition-and-muscle-cramps-%E2%80%93-what-does-the-science-say/

peter1979
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies.

The energy drink I use says is also has electrolytes in it, so this shouldnt be the issue I dont think.

Yesterdays ride, just over 30km, took about 2 1/2 hours moving time, and I drank just under 2 1/2 litres liquid. I have always drank a fair amount of water.

It could be my position and i’ll look to work on this, but I have a couple of bikes, and recently changed full bikes too and have cramp on all of them.

Thanks for the link Jonba, I had come across it on my search for possible cures. It basically says that fluid and water/electrlyte intake are only part of the answer but fitness and pushing beyond your limits are probably the main reason. Im guessing it’s down to fitness in general as I really only get a chance to ride fortnightly, with the ocassional evening ride of around 10km here and there.

regards
    Pete

emac65
    Free Member

That’s an awful lot of liquid for the amount of riding,are you sure you’re fully hydrated before you go out.I always drink plenty(water) the night before a big ride too.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Pre ride hydration is important – But by drinking that much in a relatively short time during your ride you might be diluting the salts in your system, like everything your body needs to be balanced. And it’s not always lack of salts, too much causes it to happen too!

I have some friends who are real endurance athelets and at 2 of them are your actual Doctors, the consensus was that you need to suffer before it gets better as your body adjusts over time to the demands. It can be alleiviated though – I found that energy gels work well for me and now take one on any ride over 2-3 hrs. Before that I tried all sorts but bannana’s are great no doubt about it.

Baznav
    Free Member

only able to ride fortnightly that’s the key for me, no matter what you do with diet and drink I don’t think you will ever get over your cramp problem unless you can up your activity.
    The human body is to efficient you need regular workouts to improve muscle performance and your muscles are not up to the task you are setting them.
    Muscle degredation starts within 72 hours if you don’t ride, so what you are doing is damaging your muscles which is good they recover a little stronger but if you don’t do it again in the 72 hour window your body will break down that small gain because it thinks you don’t need it.
    If you could find the time to hurt yourself 3 times a week as a bare minimum I am confident you could overcome your issue.

Nick-Scots
    Free Member

i] drink decent amounts of water (2 1/2 litres over 30km today).

The cramps can come on at any point really, but mostly after around 20km’s and without warning.

Am i doomed to be cursed with cramps forever?

Think you are drinking too much and the cramps come at the same length of effort eg that’s the muscle fatigue point.

Nick

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cramp ruining my rides’ is closed to new replies.