Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Cramp on Longish rides
  • MartinGT
    Free Member

Guys

A friend of mine always get cramp on 25k+ rides. He carb loads well apparently and yesterday did a 40k in Swaledale and with 10k to go he has awful cramps in his quads & claves.

He is quite a stocky lad. By that I do mean he does weights and is rather fit, and not fat. So whilst riding he is carrying extra weight and also more chance of building lactic acid up in his legs quicker than a skinny moi.

Now, I asked what he was drinking and he says "just water". Yesterday was hot and I suspect it was down to that. He needs electrolytes for long rides in the heat to help with cramp. We did the red route at Dalby last year and it was hot again IIRC and last 5-8k he had cramp again in his legs.

I suspect its because he is only drinking water, anyone else have a clue what it could be? He seems to be fine energy levels and has a gel or a bar whilst riding so thats cool, its the cramp.

TIA

ton

isostar, high5 or nuun in his drinks could stop this
    i used to cramp all the time, use these 3 now and seem ok.

njee20
    Free Member

Those are all different products. High 5 is a high-carb energy drink, with some electrolytes. Nuun is just electrolytes, no carbs.

If he's running low on energy then the High 5 will see him right, but personally I find that I cramp in races if I just use High 5. Nuun sorted race cramps out for me, but then I found I ran out of energy more quickly as they've not got any actual energy.

My personal recommendation would be Elete water, it can be added to any drink you like, so if he doesn't have energy problems he can put a few drops into water, or you can put some into High 5, or water or apple juice or whatever he wants to drink. Sorted me out totally.

Edric64
    Free Member

He needs salt if he cramps ,electrolyte drinks or even salted peanuts in moderation along with water of course

nickc

Fitness, diet, hydration, and do this all before the ride.

MartinGT
    Free Member

nickc, the lad is fit and has a decent diet and keep hydrated during the ride.

as I ssuepected seems like its lack of electrolytes. Was just thinking it was something I didnt think of.

Thanks guys will advise Nuun or the Elete stuff.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Cramp on Longish rides’ is closed to new replies.