Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Craik forest tracks under threat – rideout Sun 13th Dec
  • bajsyckel

Noticed this in the local paper earlier.

The marked routes in Craik forest are at risk. Forestry Commission Scotland intends to remove bridges from the routes, citing a lack of funding requiring them to concentrate on more popular venues. It would seem crazy to remove existing trail infrastructure in an attempt to remove perceived liability – especially as they would have to be actively destructive to actually stop the routes being usable. Local user groups are suggesting instead that the FC agrees simply to “walk away” and allow the tracks to be used without maintenance.

Ok, so it’s not got the #enduro glamour of Innerleithen or the facilities of Glentress, but back in the 90s Craik seemed a central part of the FC’s developing MTB plans, hosted some DH & XC races, and what remains is pretty handy for people in the area who don’t want to, or aren’t able to travel elsewhere. It’s hardly like the Hawick area ever get’s the best deal in terms of access to facilities etc, so removing what’s there seems a bit of a shitter. Anyway, I thought I’d share the story in case anyone wants to show support or make a visit for old times’ sake.

There is a proposed “show of support” this Sunday, 13th December, meeting at 10:30 for a leisurely ride of the tracks and I’m sure they’d welcome support and interest.

More info in the paper and here
    here (local rider’s page).

And here’s and old video of some classic 90s racing (not that this shows the tracks or the riding more generally at its best, but there are some vintage portage shots, the likes of which are scarce nowadays).

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt3aoWD27nQ[/video]

kcal

Much the same happened up here in Moray – some trail networks simply abandoned, but – as with you – worse was explicit destruction of link paths, entry points and so on.

I doubt you’ll have much success 🙁 but good luck.

Trekster

Expect to see more trails disappearing if the rumoured/alleged reduction in staff becomes a reality! 🙄
    The Welsh Gov/Assembly would appear to have the necessary skills to attract funding to enhance their trail network lets hope Scot.gov can do the same without blaming Westminster 😕

onehundredthidiot

It my local wood, got some nice wee loops I use to “train” on. I truly think it should be part of a borders wide network as opposed to pouring money into tweed valley.
    There are great options to open a multi day route including tweed, craik, newcastleton but fcs are focussed on a pull out and destroy. Where maintenance would be minimal, we’ve even offered to take on the management of the trails….blah…..blah.

Anyway if you want directions or want to follow us out to the start for a gentle ride with some nice singletrack stuff then post here.

grey

I knew there were bike trails down there from going to Craik years ago, but I didn’t realise it has a proper red route.
    That’s pretty poor promotion from the FC.

onehundredthidiot

Blue and red. As old as gt before the hub. XC races in the 80s so lots of mtb heritage. The forest around the trails is either not for cropping or has 15 years before its cropped according to the management plan.

Northwind

We went down and tried to do the red a while back, it was pretty hopeless- missing signs, forestry closures with no diversions etc. Shame, it seems like a nice spot. As far as FC development goes it’s from the school of “let’s build something where nobody ever goes to try and attract people”. Sometimes, nobody goes. But removing bridges seems pretty ridiculous

(are the water crossings not fordable at all? It’s pretty rare something can’t be figured out even if woodwork’s out of the question, generally where there’s a decent size river there’ll be non-mtb-specific crossings anyway)

br
    Free Member

It’ll be wet, lashing down still and for the past week or so.

onehundredthidiot

Fcs pulled the signs a while back. The bridged parts are not fordable there’s a few on top of the hill, which is flat, that are boggy, there’s one on criblaw that’s deep. Removal of the woodwork without any sort of replacement scraps the facility.

It could be a nice stop off heading up through the stanes.

What rankles is a counter was put in on a part of the route that suffered closure and that riders starting from one place would count on. Whereas putting it on the descent would capture all the riders.

The main problem for us is it looks like another decision which focuses effort on a small area and damn everyone else. Hawick is not fairing well at the moment and a few mtb pounds spent in the town by passing riders would be welcome indeed.

bajsyckel

It could be a nice stop off heading up through the stanes […] Hawick is not fairing well at the moment and a few mtb pounds spent in the town by passing riders would be welcome indeed.

Totally agree – it would be a shame if the FC can’t be persuaded if not to actively support the limited infrastructure, not to sabotage it. Anyway, hopefully this bump might reach a few others.

onehundredthidiot

Just a wee bump.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Craik forest tracks under threat – rideout Sun 13th Dec’ is closed to new replies.