Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • cragg vale continuous climb
  • elaineanne
    Free Member

ive recently started climbing this continuous climb for general fitness on my road bike..done it a few times now…. is there a record time that people can complete the climb in….and where is your finish line (is it at the Res at the top with the layby and ice cream van (normally)…lol
    just wondering so i have something to aim for…lol (havent put my foot down yet for a rest….so thats good
    http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_AtVpZXGhaNA/TR8oUYHng5I/AAAAAAAAAG8/D8OMOrO0ukM/s1600/cragg%2Bvale.JPG&imgrefurl=http://weaver-brothersbig.blogspot.com/2011_01_01_archive.html&usg=__RGQW5V9zDAns7HyrtJT3KHL3qF0=&h=1600&w=1200&sz=552&hl=en&start=61&zoom=1&tbnid=UI9laZ48Tz7l5M:&tbnh=143&tbnw=124&ei=b68MTvTvL4zasgbN4KHODg&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dcragg%2Bvale%2Bhill%2Bclimb%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D635%26tbm%3Disch&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=157&vpy=277&dur=707&hovh=143&hovw=124&tx=115&ty=231&page=6&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:61

crikey
    Free Member

Used to be a favourite for various roadie chaingangs, usually on a wed night; 25-30 mph out down the Tod road, then home up Cragg Vale, with a sprint for the sign at the top.

I hate it, having been battered up there for years and years by everyone who ever rode with us, including various old ex-pros and newer actual ones; think Chris Newton has put in the occasional appearance.

Times? dunno, have a look on the web?

crikey
    Free Member

16 minutesish is the official record…. 😥

muddydwarf
    Free Member

16 minutes is going some!

TBH it’s not that hard a climb at a ‘normal human’ pace, it’s when you’re pootling up there at an average 8mph and the super-fit aliens go whizzing past at 20+mph that you start to feel bad 🙁

headfirst
    Free Member

It doesn’t help that it faces into the prevailing sou’westerlies too. Fairly flew up it once only to realise I’d been pushed up by a stiff tailwind.

elaineanne
    Free Member

16 minites ??? crikey…. yep when i went up today it was very windy,, and a few weeks back it was well sunny with no wind at all…there were 3 0r 4 windsurfers in the res too….looked pretty choppy did the water.
    yeah the climb isnt that steep, just long……

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Longest continuous climb in England isn’t it?

pistonbroke
    Free Member

AFAIK it’s the longest continuous climb in England i.e going constantly uphill. There’s a hillclimb timetrial there in September, I did it a few years ago, never again!
    Oops too slow (in more ways than one)

fubar
    Free Member

I think I’d time it from the sign announcing the longest climb to the white give-way junction lines at the top.

Just had a look at my gps track log for my ride yesterday…looks like it took about 40 minutes 😳

billysugger
    Free Member

I could probably get down it in 16 mins

cheburashka
    Free Member

Done it the ‘other way round’ loads of times, ie Littleborough – Blackstone Edge – Cragg Vale, dropping down seems to take forever.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Y’know, even though the Blackstone Edge climb is shorter i still hate it, something about the bends obscuring the top, so you always think the top is around the next bend but then… 😥

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

its an easy climb, even if it takes a while to get up you kinda just blank all that out because ur distracted by the great view up there and your to busy looking around and before you know it your at the top lol, i think if you climbed the other way up from littlebrough to mytholmroyd it would be steeper but shorter?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘cragg vale continuous climb’ is closed to new replies.