• This topic has 10 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by IA.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cracking sound from BB
  • atlaz
    Free Member

Took out the HT for the first time since the end of the properly bad weather (i.e. April) and the BB is making a strange cracking noise. Likely to be fixed by a regrease or is it a bin & replace?

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

my bike does this, could be the bearings wearing ? try that or get a new bb or check ur chain ring bolts ive heard that can be a problem of this noise also, happens when pedaling hard ?

atlaz
    Free Member

Yeah, usually when there's some pressure (mostly uphill rather than spinning along the flat). Pretty sure most stuff is tight but I'll try everything again.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chris_mbuk
    Free Member

yeh happens on my bike if your in a high gear and ur trying to climb " not that i do climb in a high gear" but it tends to happen, try take ur bb out and grease bearings, and replace, if problem occurs try new ones

allthepies
    Free Member

Bearings might be breaking up. Is there any play if you grab the cranks and try to move from side to side ? If there's play then the BB is shagged.

atlaz
    Free Member

Doesn't seem to be any play. If there was I'd have thrown the lot but it's just the noise…

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

aye no play on mine just the god dam noise, put your bike in a padded cell 🙂

atlaz
    Free Member

Well, I was expecting a shagged BB after a winter of wet, sandy and muddy riding because it's a raceface xtype :/

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

mines a hope ceramic ive had it for about 2 year though so its not done so bad especially through the weather we have had etc

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Has the crank/spline interface dried up? Suggest removing cranks, cleaning & reasembling using a smear of copaslip.

FWIW my old Shimano XT octalinks creaked from new, but they were a bit notorious for doing that.

IA

Another classic cause is one slack chainring bolt, does it happen in all rings? try loosening and retightening them, it'll only take you a minute and might sort it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cracking sound from BB’ is closed to new replies.