Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cracking noise from rear end?
  • Amos
    Free Member

Just had my RP23 serviced re-built the rear end of my 08 Yeti 575 and now at full compression the rear end makes a rather disconcerting cracking noise! Checked everything can't see whats causing it? Now I know you're gonna say the frames cacked as it's a yeti but i isn't! I know my shock bushes are slightly worn could this be the reason for the truly terrible noise from my rear end?!? 😉

ojom
    Free Member

Yep it could be.

Get em replaced and then see what happens.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Same happened to my trancex recently. It was the link bearings needed replacing.

ojom
    Free Member

Also – take out the rear QR and give it a good clean with the dropout as well.

Then re-assemble with some grease. The QR often makes the crack sound!

Trekster

hope rear hub = broken axle

as above pivot bearings(ALL)

carbon rear end = check dropout bonding 😕

loose cassete?

Amos
    Free Member

I'll try all of that, it only really happens when it hits full compression eg. if I bunny hop and really smash the rear wheel down on landing it'll crack.

Trekster

shock too soft & bottoming out, common and easy way to wreck a shock

Dirtynap
    Free Member

Add some extra PSI to the shcok, is there any movement in the rear end cuased by the bushings?

Sandwich

Also check mech hanger, just in case

Amos
    Free Member

OK tried all the above to no avail, no broken axle in my hub, put 275 psi the shock and still makes the noise, I also let all the air out and compressed the rear end lightly but no noise. The rear doesn't seem tto be any movement in the rear end but that's probably down to the dog bone in the linkeage. There is movement if I bolt either end of the shock so I guess it must be bushings? Unless anyone has anymore ideas?

elaineanne
    Free Member

i had a funny creaking cracking noise last week …it was the QR , just undid it and tightend up agin … tis ok now lol 😉

D0NK

Had the same on my etsx, very disconcerting, turns out the QR on the shockmount (it's a 3 position job) was slightly loose – Phew!

Amos
    Free Member

Yeah tried the quick release tweak and still the creak (oo that rhymes!)
    It must be the DU bushes I hope!

Amos
    Free Member

Turns out that when my RP23 was serviced the nitrogen charge was a little low thus making a cracking noise when propedal was on and full compression was achieved, just in case this happens to anyone else, all sorted and plush now 🙂

scud
    Free Member

I was using to shorted seatpost and traced the cracking sound in rear end of EX8 to the fact that too litle seatpost was in the frame, pushed it further in and the really discontering creaking noicse stopped instantly.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cracking noise from rear end?’ is closed to new replies.