Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Cracked your carbon frame? Don't chuck it — send it to this guy!
  • nealy
    Free Member

Metal bikes are not indestructible as I have proved! It’s already been posted in this thread but I’ll post it again

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/santa-cruz-bicycles-test-lab.html

wobbliscott
    Free Member

carbons not really high tech at all, same as glass fibre really and glass fibre repairs are easily carried out by the most ham fisted unskilled people. The trick is to make it look neat and tidy, restore original strength with minimal weight penalties.

I’ve said it before, carbon fibre is 70’s technology. Old hat, it is just now it is being applied to more products and applications than before as it’s now cheaper. As with everything, there are some benefits and some drawbacks.

My experience of carbon repairs in industry is that they’re never as good again and really only a temporary fix to get you to a point where it is convenient to carry out a much larger sub-assembly level repair/replacement. It will be interesting to see the longevity of these repairs as carbon frames become more plentiful and more widely used and abused as metal frames. At the moment they are a small percentage of MTB frames sold and a tiny percentage of all MTB frames out there, so we don’t really know how they’re going to last.

Macavity
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    molgrips
    Free Member

Seems sound from a physics point of view. You’re wrapping more weave on the outside of the tube, so you’re effectively creating a new tube with larger diameter than the old one. As long as it’s bonded well enough you should be fine….

IANAFB mind 🙂

bigrich

Right everyone, will try to answer your questions:

applause! best answering thoroughness ever.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Cracked your carbon frame? Don't chuck it — send it to this guy!’ is closed to new replies.