Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Cracked Victorian Pipe with a breaker…
  • Joe

Digging up my garden today, ripping concrete to get read to lay a patio and i’ve put a 10 pence sized hole into by victorian pipe which takes waste water from kitchen and bath. Might have been there before i started, but seems unliekly. It doesn’t take the toilet waste or the upstairs waste..

…now I know this kind of thing can cause subsidance etc, but the hole is 2 metres from the manhole and using a torch i can see the pipe is in good shape the rest of the distance.

Am I mad just to flaunch over it and forget about it? With all the taps running al full whack the pipe is only about half full, and using a paint brush i got rid of the stones which had fallen through the hole.

martinhutch

Am I mad just to flaunch over it and forget about it?

You’d be mad not to patch it as long as you do a decent job.

dragon
    Free Member

Put a wrap patch repair on it.

nickjb
    Free Member

Patch it and forget about it. I’d try and disturb as little as possible of the pipe as it’s prone to cracking if moved. Just patch what you can see and bury it

Joe

What shall I patch it with? Concrete mortar? Plain old concrete? Was thinking of using a little plastic mesh to create something for some concrete to stick to.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Put a curved half section of pipe over it to stop any more collapse might be a start?

steve_b77
    Free Member

You’re not on about this Victorian Pipe are you 😆

Get a pipe repair clamp, you’ll never patch cast successfully.

Or expose all round the pipe, carefully with your recent exploits in mind, get a plastic drain pipe section that fits, place round the pipe and bench in with concrete. If you’ve access to soft clay in your garden, bed the plastic on that around the hole and then pack the gaps with it before concreting in place.

timba
    Free Member

You could try a couple of large stainless jubilee clips; unscrew fully so that they can be poked underneath the pipe. Mastic a cut section of plastic pipe to seal and secure with the clips
    A better way is either to repair internally with a GRP patch, or to cut out the damaged section and use a rubber coupling joint

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cracked Victorian Pipe with a breaker…’ is closed to new replies.