• This topic has 23 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by br.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Cracked steerer Fox 36
  • chris36860
    Free Member

Help please guys, I’m in the Alps and today Started getting a odd creaking from the headset. Nothing major but it started to get worse so cam off the mountain a little early. Have just removed the fork to find a 1.5 inch crack in the steerer tube starting from the top.

So, I’m just about to drill a small hole at the bottom of the crack to stop it increasing, but is it safe to ride? The stem will keep the crack closed and the head Dr will keep it from folding in.

Is the crack weld able or is it new uppers? New upper last year via MoJo so don’t really want to spend more on the fork!

Or do I buy some new ones here for a very inflated price??

HELP

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m no expert, but I’m not sure that I’d fancy riding them like that. How much longer are you out there for? I guess you could try the drill technique and keep an eye on the crack.

Trouble is that I’d be too tight to pay RRP / inflated Alps price for a new pair of forks either.

chris36860
    Free Member

Day 2 out or 7 so not good. New fork don’t massively bother me but the prices are pretty high here. If they fail, they will fail catastrofically and result in instant death!! Also, if I drill the hole and hope for the best, I’ll ride like Miss Daisy for the rest of the week worrying about it!

I_Ache
    Free Member

If you have the money for a new fork could you order some from CRC and have them delivered to you there? Or are you not there for long enough for that to be viable?

If you can’t do the above I would look for a local welder and have a repair attempted. Next time don’t do your stem up so tightly.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Stop drilling is only good if the crack is small enough not to cause any reduction in the structural integrity of the component. If the crack is long enough to cause a weakness then the stop drilling will only help to prevent further crack growth but will not prevent a failure. I have no idea what the damage tolerance is on these things, but like you I would not ride confidently knowing the defect is there.

neiloxford
    Free Member

A couple of suggestions as I see it

1. Rent a bike, and move the forks across.
    2. See if you can rent just some forks.
    3. Ask around for some second hand ones out there
    4. Buy the forks
    5. Risk severe injury..not an option in my eyes
    6. Find some cheap ones here and get them sent UPS tomorrow, there for Wednesday if you pay enough.

chris36860
    Free Member

Thanks Neiloxford. Sat here with a bottle of wine wondering what option to take. UPS new forks did cross my mind so might call CRC in the morning.

I haven’t touched the stem since they were serviced 3 weeks ago, so I’m not sure over tightening was the problem. Not sure what was tho!

I’m not a massive hitter but hitting some larger than normal stuff here so don’t really want to take the risk of bode repair if I can help it! I would quite like to see my wife and kids again!!

honourablegeorge

CRC next day, or second hand forks you can flog when you get back.

Wouldn’t be riding them – or drilling, as it sounds like you might be due warranty uppers from Mojo

chief9000
    Free Member

If you have the money for a new fork could you order some from CRC and have them delivered to you there? Or are you not there for long enough for that to be viable?

Careful with this, I would not rely on CRC next day. had some crappy experiences myself. But maybe others have had better out in france?

If you have wheels, head down the mountain to a bike shop. Call them first tell them what you want. Then arrive with bike and get them to fit it.

Bingo… n

chris36860
    Free Member

Have just found some ROckshox lyric solo air 160 from Pro bike France. Could be here Wednesday? Any experiences?? Never owned Rockshox so not sure

seavers
    Free Member

Rockshox Lyrik are bloody brilliant. V plush and stiff, better than fox in my opinion, humble as it may be.

Edit…check it has lockout…if that bothers you.

Konastoner
    Free Member

Chris these may be worth a look:

Rosebikes.de

Domain RC for under £181 new is a bargain! Delivery should be straightforward too.

chris36860
    Free Member

Konastoner,
    They would of done the trick but they’re tapered and can’t see any 1 1/8th.

Still looking at the Lyrics but would rather have some time to research as its a big purchase

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“head Dr”

I’ve been warned off using them by my LBS for reasons that they can weaken steerers if over tightened. Although I’m sure many people use them without issue.

Because your holiday insurance wouldn’t pay out £20k to repair your face (a quite typical cost) knowing you deliberately rode with a defective bike, I personally would not take the risk.

chris36860
    Free Member

Yeah, have decided to not ride with the forks. Just trying to work out what to go for and how to get them here ASAP

legend
    Free Member

Where in the alps are you? If in Morzine there will almost certainly be someone selling a fork in town, would just need to ask around

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I’ve been warned off using them by my LBS for reasons that they can weaken steerers if over tightened.

I’d guess that they put way less stress on the steerer than hammering a star-spangled wotsit down there. Shops come up with some proper guff sometimes…

trail_rat
    Free Member

of course youd just be guessing …..

mechanical leverage of the thread and the cone with a baboon swinging off the long end of an allen key could and probably will be higher than that of the circa 1mm metal wing folding

chris36860
    Free Member

We’re in Sameon, so just over the ridge from Morzine. I’m going to very gingerly ride into LEs Getz In the morning and scout the bike shops in my very limited French.

chris36860
    Free Member

Trail rat, are you calling me a baboon?? Haha 🙂

Still not sure how it happened. It may have been like it for a while and it was a coincidence that I had issues With the Headset today. It just didn’t feel right and had an odd noise and slight movement under braking that could be felt if you held the headset. I took the fork out to clean everything out as it was really wet and muddy here yesterday and noticed the crack when cleaning.

nick1962
    Free Member

Are you sure it’s not just a sticker 😉

Buttscratcher
    Free Member

I’d you wanted a UK shop to sort you out, give Merlin cycles a bell in the morning. They’re tip top chaps and can sort out fast delivery. Usually have forks at very decent prices too.

br
    Free Member

I’ve been warned off using them by my LBS for reasons that they can weaken steerers if over tightened.

Which is probably why they come with an alu bolt, so it’ll shear before the head-doctor does any damage.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Cracked steerer Fox 36’ is closed to new replies.