Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Cracked roll bar collars – experiences?
  • bubs

The VW garage has just sprung these on me when I took my wife’s old convertible Beetle in to have the roof fixed. Can these wait to be fixed (just play in the bushes) or could this be dangerous? The fix is pretty expensive.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I took my old MK4 Golf into a VW garage to get a new key coded.

They gave me a list as long as my arm of stuff that needed doing underneath. I took it for an MOT at a trusted private garage soon after and it flew though. I think the list they gave me was to restore it to concourse condition, rather than the 15 year old run about that it was.

I would suggest taking it to your trusted local MOT place and get a second opinion.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They gave me a list as long as my arm of stuff that needed doing underneath. I took it for an MOT at a trusted private garage soon after and it flew though. I think the list they gave me was to restore it to concourse condition, rather than the 15 year old run about that it was.

I would suggest taking it to your trusted local MOT place and get a second opinion.

MOT checks the car is safe, not that it’s right.

To put that into context, my MG (other car might be similar, I just spend enough time under it to know what’s worn and whats not) had ARB bushes so worn the ARB hit the underside of the car, and the kingpins were so FUBAR it was difficult to get it round corners.

Passed it’s MOT. Because on the ramp the play in the pins was tiny and the ARB isn’t classed as part of the suspension (it wearing out doesn’t cause the wheels to wobble), thus the car was deemed safe.

It’s currently up on bricks being rebuilt.

v8ninety

Above is true; but the take home message is

ARB (anti-roll bar) is not classed as part of the suspension

It’s not required for the safe operation of the vehicle, it is a supplementary device to improve handling. If it’s bushes/mounts are worn it can clonk rattle and not do its job properly, but it shouldn’t be unsafe, per se.

bubs

Thanks. It can wait until my local mechanic sees it then.

finishthat
    Free Member

Std VAG platform issue – plastic collars on the anti roll bars crack after a while when rust gets under them and expands to crack them.
    Its costly to fix as a new anti roll bar is required. on most cars its low risk especially if it is no making a noise, there were some cars years ago where the anti roll bar was part of the suspension location/bracing – luckily no longer done like this (Morris Marina)

spooky_b329

I had very worn roll bar bushes on my camper, it used to change direction all over the place especially on uneven roads or sidewinds, but on each MOT it was just listed as slightly worn but not considered serious.

Eventually changed them and once I’d driven it with the new ones, I would consider the old handling as dangerous! No longer did it need constant steering correction or feel like a fairground ride at anything over 60mph.

Much less noticeable no doubt on a small hatchback though…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Are we talking classic beetle, or new beetle? The new one being a golf in a frock, just like the TT.

I’ve a feeling (after looking at a TT years ago and thiscoming up as a common problem) that they weren’t particularly expensive, about £90 for an ARB and bushes? And there were some (later or earlier models?) with a 20mm ARB rather than 19mm diameter to eliminate the plastic part.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cracked roll bar collars – experiences?’ is closed to new replies.