Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Cracked ribs and riding ?
  • iainc

Goofing around with youngest (11) on Saturday and he side tackled me with a resounding crack and that horrid feeling in right ribs. I cracked them 15 years ago and remember the same pain. Am okish when up and about, though sleeping and getting out of bed is a challenge.

Wondering how long to stay off MTB ? I’m supposed to be going to Cairngorms weekend after next for a few days riding…. hopefully a combination of pain killers and MTFU will see me right ? Experiences ?

Will sack off swimming this week, though have a velodrome session booked thu night….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Wondering how long to stay off MTB ? I’m supposed to be going to Cairngorms weekend after next for a few days riding…. hopefully a combination of pain killers and MTFU will see me right ? Experiences ?

Going with anyone funny?

Expect random bounts og agony, pain when things press on it etc. don’t fall on them either.

TBH I’d sack it all off for some proper rest and try a ride next week to test it out.

flatfish
    Free Member

It was around three weeks before I managed a rather sedate commute into work. Parts of that ride made me wince.
    I also had a track session booked and was very glad I’d decided to sack it off.
    I’d be cancelling a trip to the cairngorms if I were you.

blitz

3-4 weeks off the bike when I cracked my ribs. Probably 6 weeks before I couldn’t feel anything.

Keva
    Free Member

ride up the street and Jump up and down the kerb a few times, then come back and tell us how it feels.

wallop

😆

Not a chance.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Just back myself from the same ( 6 weeks ago)..four weeks saw me back on the bike but if I had fallen on the same spot again I would have been in real trouble.. still not 100%..
    I had to decide which risk factor was worse for my ribs ..falling again or having a knife sticking through them from the missus for being such a grumpy bastard due to lack of riding ..

hooli

General advice is to listen to your body, if it is too sore then don’t do it.

PS – Speaking as somebody who is fairly clumsy and always seems to land on his ribs, it will be too sore 😉

iainc

thanks all, saw the Doc earlier ( i was going for something else anyway), he had a poke, made me squeal a bit and reckoned one or 2 cracks and see how it goes over the next week…

trail_rat
    Free Member

If they are cracked enough to show on an x-ray you wouldn’t be considering it.

When I did mine it was painful to breath.

More so if you crash and land on chest again youve already weakened them.

crewlie

5 weeks here since I badly bruised mine. As always I should have rested more and they’re still sore. I found that stopping myself turning (or trying to) in my sleep stopped me hurting myself and making things worse, strategically placed pillows helped. Fingers crossed for you for the Cairngorms but I suspect you might be pushing it.

ebennett

I did similar to you last year and did a trip to the Lakes a week afterwards – it was fine after I warmed up a little. Only one way to know though, get out for a test ride!

TiRed

I cracked one or two when I fell onto the edge of the wooden pump track at the bike show a few years ago. Took a few weeks before I was doing much with intensity, but was still able to commute OK.

When I broke five and my sternum, walking was hard enough! 😥

It’s self-limiting, take paracetamol 1000 mg x4/day and see how you feel. When it comes to hard breathing, you’ll either notice and wince, or not.

natrix
    Free Member

If they are cracked enough to show on an x-ray you wouldn’t be considering it.

Agree with this, depends how badly cracked they are. As said above, listen to your body 8)

iainc

yeah, saw doc but wasn’t going to bother with x-rays and he agreed, so it’s suspected, not 100%. Full of cocodamol now and feeling a lot less sore !

user-removed
    Free Member

Fell out of a tree many years ago and landed on a rock. The cracked ribs were painful but it’s the torn intercostal muscles which seem to cause the most pain and take the longest to heal.

I was “lucky” because I also broke my wrist so cycling was out of the question. Still played a gig the next night though 🙂

iainc

torn intercostals, yes, did that in a big crash in Dec 2013 which resulted in ambulance, hospital rebuilt face by plastic surgery 🙁 Still hurts quite often…

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Find a smooth tarmac road route in Scotland instead. 😉

iainc

^^^^ aye, but I am going with a group and wanna ride choice cuts incl. Lairig Ghru, Cake or Death, Burma Rd and a few more 🙂

scruff9252

I had broken my ribs in spring last year, a week or so before in was due to do a trail ultra marathon.

Sacked the run off but went on a gentle 2 day cycle tour round Arran instead. By the evening of the Sat (30 miles in) I was near passing out with pain. I have never experienced pain like it – luckily I managed to beg the campsite owner for a couple of tramadol which got me back to the ferry.

Never again.

user-removed
    Free Member

Never again

Pretty much this. Give your poor old body a bit of recovery time or you’ll end up an arthritic mess like me!

Far better to sacrifice a wee bit of outdoors time now so you can enjoy lots if it in yer dotage!

iainc

cheers folks, going to have a week off all exercise and see how it feels before deciding on it. Thanks.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Goofing around with youngest (11) on Saturday and he side tackled me with a resounding crack and that horrid feeling in right ribs

Heard it. 🙂

Fell off AGAIN?

….and six weeks. Don’t sneeze. Really. Don’t.

iainc

hey PP, not a bike this time, honest Guv 🙂

Phil_H

Don’t sneeze. Really. Don’t.

Seconded

fasthaggis

Don’t sneeze. Really. Don’t.

or laugh too much.

Two aerials meet on a roof, fall in love and get married. The reception was brilliant.

I saw this man and woman wrapped in a barcode. I said: “Are you two an item?”

I said to this train driver: “I want to go to Paris.” He said: “Eurostar?” I said: “I’ve been on telly but I’m no Dean Martin.”

I sent my girlfriend a huge pile of snow. I rang her up and said: “Did you get my drift?”

A woman gets on a bus with her baby. The driver says: “Ugh, that’s the ugliest baby I’ve ever seen.”
    The woman walks to the rear of the bus and sits down, fuming. She says to a man next to her: “The driver just insulted me.” The man says: “You go up there and tell him off. Go on, I’ll hold your monkey for you.”

iainc

aye, very good 🙂

yosemitepaul

Six weeks of pain, six months of aching here.
    You’ve broken bones in your chest, they won’t fix in a few days or weeks. Time for a bit of rest and reflection.
    Alternatively, you could go to the Cairngorms damage them even further and still be suffering by Christmas. Your choice, but I would go with the STW collective and recommend you rake it easy.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Cracked ribs and riding ?’ is closed to new replies.