Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cracked nipple, any secret tips…
  • DT78
    Free Member

to remove without cutting the spoke? It’s a bladed one and I don’t have a spare….factory built prolite bracciano

Whole nipple has correded / cracked off. Taking rim tape off and the spoke is too far through the nipple to use a screw driver

Any other ideas before I try to source a replacement spoke and cut it out?

scaredypants

get an old screwdriver and file/cut a slot into the centre. Then you should be able to use it.

DT78
    Free Member

Good call. Pretty seized though but worth a go for a rainy afternoon job

DT78
    Free Member

Failed, won’t budge. Now with the LBS. £20 to true a wheel plus a likely £5 for spoke and nipple. Ouch.

It’d better be damn perfect for those prices.

scaredypants

If you’d been lucky I guess you could’ve loosened all the others until the tension was removed from it but I’d pay somebody £25 for that as I think it’ll be a nightmare of seized nips and swearing

(I’d also ask them to rebuild with new nips, TBH – are these ones alloy ?)

DT78
    Free Member

yep they were alloy. tbh they were fine for two years use, think riding through floods did it.

If I had the spare spokes I would just cut the seized ones out and replace, but I figured I’d have to try to track the right length down, then probably buy in bulk.

So yes, probably worth it, as the wheel is clean, no cassette, no tyre or rim strip and loosened off (other than the one offending spoke) I was expecting a tenner

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Sudocrem might work.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Twenty quid seems steep for a wheel true.

scaredypants

Sudocrem might work.

only if you’re a cat4 racer

dirtydog
    Free Member

bikeneil – Member

Twenty quid seems steep for a wheel true.

Ohh I dont know, cracked ally nipple, others probably not too far behind, there’s a possibility some will be ceased, could turn out to be a nightmare.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cracked nipple, any secret tips…’ is closed to new replies.