Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cracked my Frame!
  • Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Just found a little crack at the headtube/ downtube weld on my beloved Evil. First time I’ve had any sort of problem like this, so I’m just looking for any advice/ pro tips/ heartfelt expressions of empathy etc.
    Will it be ok to ride for a little bit? (presumably not a great idea but it’s my only bike)
    Steel frame so would it be easy enough to get it welded up? (it’s a tiny crack – maybe 6mm)
    Any top tips for preparing it for fixy-uppy welding?
    Anyone heard of an Evil cracking (other than a Revolt, obviously)

I’m distraught!

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Steel frame so would it be easy enough to get it welded up? (it’s a tiny crack – maybe 6mm)

Probably be a total PITA of stripping down, paint removal, rewelding and respraying, I guess? But if you love the frame, worth it?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Are you sure its not a sticker?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Age of frame? Are you first owner? Contact the shop you got it from or Evil and see what they say. Might be Warranty, may also be a discount crash replacement

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

I don’t even know how old it is actually – it came off the classifieds here in great condition but I’ve had it 2 1/2 years. Suppose it might be worth dropping Silverfish a line, but I don’t really expect anything.

To be fair, I think I’ve had my money’s worth several times over…

chunkypaul
    Free Member

bummer! you’ve gone and cracked it!

I doubt silverfish will be much help if you have had it resprayed, I’d get it repaired at a quality steel bike builder myself fella – it’s a mk1 sovereign built out of 853 and 725 reynolds steel, and nothing like the newer ones ( different tubes, different geometry, better dropouts, designed by Dave Weagle) as It’s the Long version with the 16.5″ seat tube

As far as I’m aware you are the third owner of that frame, as I bought it off jncarpenter forum member off mtbr – must be 5 or 6 years old

It’s a classic, get it fixed and continue to ride it/enjoy it, I’ve never ridden a HT as good as that one

Rickos
    Free Member

Defo a crack? I thought I had a couple of cracks once – turned out to be cracks in the paint and not the frame at all.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Cheers Paul.
    I intend to enjoy it for a good while yet! I reckon it should be easy enough to get it welded up – only a little crack, and not too awkward a place for it.

It is definitely a crack though – I wire brushed the paint off to have a proper look.

Me and the Evil in happier times;

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Has anyone here had a frame welded up after it cracked?

Any suggestions for the sort of places I should be looking to get it done? Does it need to be particularly neat or will any old job do it?

backtothetop
    Free Member

snap! i think ive found a small hairline crack where the weld for the seatpost meets the top tube, need to look in better light, if it is a crack i just hope giants warranty is as good as everyone makes out.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Might be an idea to find a local engineering company or framebuilder & see if they can braze it, which is cooler than welding. Dunno how strong that would be but brazed frames are bloody strong!
    Plus if It’s brazed & finished properly It’ll be smooth as a baby’s bum.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

You want it doing with a tig welder, very neat and will be stronger than the metal itself.

Ring some local fabricators up and find out, will take minutes to do and will probly only want a few drinks for doing it.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Fixed!

Thanks to Steel Design Services in Luddenden – decent bit of TIG touch up for the price of a pint of beer.

Now I’m off to punt into a rock garden with reckless abandon…

Markie
    Free Member

Top result!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cracked my Frame!’ is closed to new replies.