• This topic has 11 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by mt.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cracked frame, paint or metal?
  • donsimon
    Free Member

Old GT frame has been resurrected into ss and city duties, but now I've noticed a crack in the paintwork. In your vastly experienced opinions, is it the paint or the frame?

What's the best way to strip the paint to look at the metal?
    Nitromors? Burner? Scraper?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Keep riding and see if it grows.

Looks like paint to me.

bedfo
    Free Member

Paint does not just crack, that is on its way out, i've got almost identical pics from my old meta frames.

You dont need to scrape/burn/nitromors the paint off for a better look, that is a classic fatigue crack, right on the base of the weld.

How long have you had it? If its got warranty, send it back, if not keep an eye on it whilst you look for a new frame.

donsimon
    Free Member

How long have you had it? If its got warranty, send it back, if not keep an eye on it whilst you look for a new frame.

No warranty AFAIK, unless GT have rolled out a new 15year warranty. It's had a good innings, so no tears here. 😀

Time for another new bike… 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

I bet it's the paint only, mind you you seem to be looking for an excuse to buy a new bike…

donsimon
    Free Member

Or maybe I don't trust you. 😆

grumm
    Free Member

I don't think I would have even noticed that – I certainly wouldn't be worrying about it, especially if you're not using it for mtb.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Ive had heaps of frames (for customers) replaced due to marks on the edges of welds exactly like this.

considering where this mark is,i wouldnt ride it.

lardman
    Free Member

just get some nitro on it, and see whats under there. It's white, so a touch up paint should look pretty good after.

Looks like it COULD be a crack, and when the headtube from my (very poorly welded) GT snapped off mid ride (jump), i broke my nose, and smashed my face up pretty good.

So, i would get the paint off and make sure. Aluminium give you absolutely NO warning before a high pitched 'schtiing' noise, and instant face-plant.

donsimon
    Free Member

That's what I'm worried about lardman.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If that is a crack, it's gonna get a bit bigger before letting go, certainly on road stuff.

mt
    Free Member

That is crack in the base of the weld. Anyone who says different is wrong. Given the material of the frame I'd be very cautious about using it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cracked frame, paint or metal?’ is closed to new replies.