Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Cracked carbon steerer on road bike?
  • meandyuk

So, like a numpty whilst putting my stem onto road bike, I heard a click noise.
    Can someone tell me if I’ve buggered it or if it’s ok to ride with still? *gulp*

wwaswas

Take the bung out and look inside.

TiRed

Looks like plenty of solid steerer left. But http://slamthatstem.com/ and start taking flexibility exercises. As above, remove bung, cut off split excess and remove previous spacers.

cynic-al
    Free Member

And buy a torque wrench for your bung.

meandyuk

Had a look inside and I can’t see any visible cracks… This mean it’s ok?

wwaswas

The top one looks more like a cut than a crack?

rents
    Free Member

I had the same with a set of pace rigid forks. If you are not sure I wouldn’t use them as is as a steerer tube failure is not good. I managed to fix mine by machining a aluminium bung that was almost a press fit that extended into the steerer past the top race. Then epoxied it in. The bung had a tapped hole for top cap screw. Been fine for three years now. It just means the steerer can’t be cut.

meandyuk

My steerer bung is pretty tight and aluminium… Can’t believe it!! Argh
    The top one was there when I bought it… Not sure how it was cut, the guy I got it from was a bit of a bodger so maybe he wanted to mark the steerer for some reason…

nikk
    Free Member

At what point did you hear a click?

That looks like a score on the steerer rather than a crack. Also looks scored further down. What was going on with the install? Is it a new build?

meandyuk

Ok, so the worst thing is that I did it with a new torque wrench. I kept turning it thinking it would click as others I’ve seen have, it didn’t feel that tight but the torque wrench is much more heavier tool than just an Allen key. I basically got a new torque wrench and didn’t know how to use it properly…. Using it on my best bike first was a bad idea in hindsight!! Numpty 🙁

It’s not a new build, I bought it second hand, but wanted to change the stem.

rents
    Free Member

On the second pic located at the six o’clock position on the steerer, looks like if could be de lamination? Put the expander back in 3/4 of the way in an slowly torque up. Look in suspected location for separation or miss alignment at the top of the steerer.

meandyuk

I put the steerer in 3/4 and tightened, I can’t see any separation but I’m a little worried about overtightening.
    Thanks for the advice

Speshpaul
    meandyuk

The one I have in there goes down quite a way. It’s 1 1/4.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Why don’t you just cut the top bit off that’s cracked? Looks like there’d still be plenty of space for a stem below it.

meandyuk

it would be too slammed for me I think!

Anyway, I’m gonna suck it up and buy a new fork if I can find one at a more reasonable price. Giant want around £300 for a replacement 🙁

cloudnine
    Free Member

You can get that fixed. Its possible cut the steerer below the crack and to glue a stepped aluminium insert into the steerer. You can have it any length you want so wont have to be slammed. Had mine fixed like this for £20 by mike burrows

meandyuk

Could be a good option cheers, any contact details? I’m struggling to find a website

cloudnine
    Free Member

I think this is it.. 4 Bunkell Road, Rackheath, Norwich, Norfolk NR13 6PX
    01603 721700

Give him a ring he’s a very nice bloke.

He’s a bit of a cycling and design legend (made Guy Martins tandem which broke the record)

meandyuk

Great, I’ll see what he says. Thanks for that

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Cracked carbon steerer on road bike?’ is closed to new replies.