cracked 20mm pinch bolts

Home Forum Bike Forum cracked 20mm pinch bolts

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • cracked 20mm pinch bolts
  • cubecomp

Hi all just wonderd if anybody has had any problems with pinch bolts on 20mm bolt up forks with them cracking and can you still use them .It hasnt cracked all the way round can any body shine any light on this for me im a bit worried about riding it tomoz

_tom_

Not cracked but I overtightened one of the bolts on my Boxxer and stripped the thread. Considered getting it re-done with a helicoil but it still works fine with 1 bolt on that side.

jota180

Obviously not seen it but there’s no way I’d ride that
    A failure there could easily end badly

cubecomp

its cracked left to right in both corners it still pinch down is this part of the fork load bearing or is it something to be worried about when im riding

jota180

Can you post a pic?

cubecomp

i can to your email account is it in your profile

jota180

No – i’m at work

Post it here for all to see

Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

What forks are they?
    This was a classic fault on the older Fox 36’s. The newer ones have a very small shim inserted in the crack to stop them being overtightened which was very (seemingly) easy to do unless you are the type to buy torque wrenches and do things properly… 😕 (bit heavy in the trail pack)

Anyway, its entirely your call obviously but I had a tiny crack in both sides of my 36’s and I studied them and had second opinions and decided I would continue riding them for the time being as I felt the crack wasn’t in an area that would be affected by anything other than being over-tightened some more(although I am sure some people on here will quickly tell me I could have died horribly and also killed several children and perhaps some cute puppies.)

Its up to you to make the judgement. Any decent bike shop will obviously tell you to replace them, and in all honesty, that is the best and most sensible thing to do.

jota180

is this part of the fork load bearing

With the big caveat that I haven’t seen it and can’t even visualise it

It probably didn’t crack without any load on it

b r

+1 older 36’s

Mine had this, luckily my LBS got Fox to warranty them – lucky as I’d actually bought them s/h from elsewhere…

cubecomp

ok thanks guys not sure how to put pics on here i think im best getting some new ones really

jota180

not sure how to put pics on here

Go here – http://imgur.com/ and upload the pic

On the right you’ll have a list of links
    post the one marked – Direct Link (email & IM) – here

jota180

click the URL button and paste the link in the box that pops up

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘cracked 20mm pinch bolts’ is closed to new replies.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks are open.

Skip to top