Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Crack on the wheel eyelet, fatal?
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

No pictures just now but I’ll post later if needed. But do you think a crack either side of the eyelet hole is fatal? I guess I already know the answer, but Sun MTX 36 hole rim(wheel is about 2.5/3 year old).

The cracks are either side of the eyelet following the diameter of the rim, probably around 5-10mm each in length.

Gubbed init? Even at that i don’t know if can be trued it’s fairly buckled.

Anyhow, any recommendations for a new rim? and how much do you reckon a rim and a rebuild will cost me? I guess, I am looking at labour, new spokes and rim? only thing that is savable is the hub(pro2, we recently served bearings and the brake disc(although i did manage to buckle that slightly too, think i’ve a spare up me brothers.)) Or is it cheaper just to buy a new wheel?

sobriety
    Free Member

Yup, eventually the spokes around it will tear out of the rim in the same manner, although I’ve done it to two rims and it’s been gradual failure rather than catastrophic, I’d ride it until some more begin to pull through, then replace, last time I had a wheel built it was £35 not including the rim.

nickjb
    Free Member

As above, it tends to fail quite slowly. More crack and the existing cracks get worse but it takes time. It’ll become hard to true if you need to tighten those spokes. Keep an eye out for a good deal on a rim as you have some time. Should be economical to repair

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not nec, tons of open pros did this without failing IIRC.

Keep riding and inspect frequently. You may not want to take it on a big trip obviously.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Aye though so cheers, it’s in pretty bad shape, couple of spokes missing from the wheel after the damage, the eyelet hole cracked because the spoke went right through so no eylet on it anymore, just a hole with 2 cracks…

so could be anything from 60-100odd quid possibly depending on the rim i choose.. bugger, need a mech hanger and new derailler too..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

£20-£40 depending on the shop for labour + spokes, rim costs whatever you want to spend.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Not nec, tons of open pros did this without failing IIRC.

Keep riding and inspect frequently. You may not want to take it on a big trip obviously.Cool, if it could get me by the next few months commuting that would be magic, i’ll take it to the bike shop and get it trued and spokes replaced and keep it single speed(but see if i can settle it on a higher gear) for commuting purposes..threat of a 4 day week hanging over me so I could do with out spending the best part of 200 quid right now..

cynic-al
    Free Member

seosamh77 – Member
    Aye though so cheers, it’s in pretty bad shape, couple of spokes missing from the wheel after the damage, the eyelet hole cracked because the spoke went right through so no eylet on it anymore, just a hole with 2 cracks…

Ahh – I’ve never ridden a wheel with spokes missing, I suspec tthat might not go well: my advice to a customer would be “the wheel’s ****ed I’m afraid, re-build time”.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Aye, got away a bit early there so took it round to the shop. Pretty much gubbed, and it’s starting to spread, so it will require a rebuild, new spokes and rim… So he’s going to sort it temporarily(trued it as much as possible and 2 new spokes one with a washer or something, not sure how that’ll work, behind it) just now so i can commute for the next month or so, and he’ll sort out the buckled disc, a tenner.. so least i can get to work and about, off road is binned for a while though, need to start saving my pennies!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Crack on the wheel eyelet, fatal?’ is closed to new replies.