Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • crack on hope x2 calliper
  • pondy
    Free Member

has anyone come across this before, I have a crack on the mating face were the cover washer sits on the brake hose union, its extends from here to the outer body of the calliper causing fluid to leak.

I noticed it today, riding along a fire road, apply my brakes, rear is squealing like made and not slowing me down but the lever felt normal, no extra travel or spongy. on inspection I found my chain stays, disc and pads had brake fluid on them which seemed to be coming from the union so I suspected I would just need some new washers, stripped it down to check and found said crack.

nothing has hit the brake pipe or union, the bolt has not been over tighten, last removed around 3 years ago when I fitted a new hose when changing frames, torqued to spec and brakes have been problem free since then

I have emailed hope, not very happy that I am going to have to fork out for a new calliper and pads, the calliper is £60 from crc. will see what they say, I always hear they have fantastic customer service. these brakes are well of the warranty and brought second hand.

pictures a little poor, found it had to get camera to focus on crack but you can just about see it

br
    Free Member

I’ve had both my x2 calipers split, different days but within a month of each other (3 years old) and both on rocky/techy trails.

Mine split underneath, at the piston edge and tbh I just bought a set of SLX’s for £100 rather than spend more on just 2 calipers – will sell on the master cylinders/levers.

grey

Would have just packaged it up and sent it off to Hope, they would have most probably sent a new one in the return post. Warranty return form is on the website.
    I did this with a couple of master cylinders that were quite a few years old and cracked within a few weeks of each other and received new ones within days.

tthew

not very happy

[quote]these brakes are well out of the warranty and brought second hand.[/quote]Seems a bit unfair in those circumstances. Nothing lasts forever, especially on an MTB. Do you feel like you’ve not had good value for money?

Davesport

these brakes are well of the warranty and brought second hand.

Are you for real ? I can’t see how in any way shape or form this is Hope’s responsibility. I don’t think you have any statutory rights that would entitle you to any warranty from Hope. It would be purely down to goodwill from them if they were to subsidise a repair or replacement.

Good luck but IMO it’s nothing to do with Hope.

D.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Phone hope on Monday, be honest about them and see what they say. They can then decide if it’s their problem or not. If not, get a new caliper ordered. Sometimes, stuff breaks.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Can’t see why you should be entitled to anything as you did not buy them new
    But speak to hope they are very good and nice to deal with

You can buy just the empty shell rather than a full built caliper

andyl
    Free Member

might help if you focussed your camera on the caliper not on the knife.

Really can’t believe you are complaining to the manufacturer about something old and out of warranty that you bought 2nd hand. If I was you I would be calling Hope nicely ask them if they will do you some caliper bodies cheap on a refurb basis. 🙄

collostomy
    Free Member

I had this, phoned Hope asking for advice and was asked to post them the calliper. One week later I received a brand new calliper and complimentary set of pads.

pondy
    Free Member

I don’t expect to get anything free, I have been honest and said how old they are, how they get used and that im the not the original buyer. in a way I wish they would have lasted longer but its hard to explain to someone about how much use something gets, the brakes are about 4 years old, I get out on the bike around once a month and do a 10 mile loop on flat trails if im lucky. if they was used hard every weekend then I things like this are to be expected. I have not said that even though its out of warranty you need to give me a new one, simply making them aware of the issue I have, might be something they have had before?

the purpose of the thread was asking if anyone had this before?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve not had it personally but I’m aware of it cropping up on here before.

collostomy
    Free Member

The new calliper I was sent has been redesigned and there is more metal around the area shown above. Give them a ring Pondy.

Northwind

Hope are well used to their stuff cracking and will quite likely replace it even if not in warranty- can’t hurt to give them a polite call.

Don’t try the “hey, I noticed you’ve redesigned your product to stop it breaking” line, by the way- they’re immune to it, apparently it doesn’t in any way imply the old design wasn’t up to scratch 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘crack on hope x2 calliper’ is closed to new replies.