Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Crack in Front Mech
  • simmy
    Free Member

I’ve never seem this before so I’m more than likely going to name the bits wrong so please bare with me.

Basically, my mates front mech developed a crack where the chain goes through right in the bottom corner, closest to the big ring.

It took his chain up from the bottom so he had the chain going through the mech twice 😯 obviously the mechs goosed but any ideas why its happened ? It’s a Shimano Alvio on a Orange G3.

Any recommendations for a good quality replacement – sorry for no pics but it happened about 11pm last night so was pitch black.

coatesy
    Free Member

Seen them break before in the lower corners of the(it’s known as a) cage, no idea why they’ve done it though, possibly got twisted and caught the chainring, or maybe chainsuck pulled the chain up and forced it to break.Most new mechs are dual pull, multi fit, so should work, your actual need is for a 31.8 clamp, top-pull, top swing. Deore is probably as low as i’d recommend going, better quality mechs will have longer lasting pivots(but will still break if forced, so check clearances,that rings are straight,and have no hooking/burrs to cause suck).

simmy
    Free Member
    Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ive got a 9 speed SLX front mech he can have for a tenner posted, good condition. email in profile.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Crack in Front Mech’ is closed to new replies.