• This topic has 14 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Crabbies or Franks??
  • BermBandit
    Free Member

To my undying shame I've developed a bit of a taste for alcoholic Ginger Beer. As far as I know there are only two brands readily available.

Taking all references to is it Rats, cats, gnats or bats, sparrow piss, soft southern bedwetting shandy drinking 1/2 pint sipping gay croquet playing soppy barsteward apart, anyone know of any others??

Personally I find the Crabbies one sweet and sickly, whilst the Swedish Franks one has a good taste, but is a bit weaks at 3.8%

Wait for it…..

and FIRE!!

bigyinn
    Free Member

There are a few craft / micro breweries who also brew it and are certainly worth trying.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Crabbies all the way – Franks is way too chemically for me.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Tried Franks the other day and it was pretty grim – tasted like a poor quality alcopop (which I guess is what it is).

psychle
    Free Member

add vodka if it ain't strong enough, 'tis what I do… Moscow Mule on steriods 🙂

BermBandit
    Free Member

Crabbies all the way – Franks is way too chemically for me.

I'm not 100% certain here, but I was under the impression that Sweden has similar laws in this respect to Germany whereby you are not allowed to put additives into beer.

Whatever, I'll stand by my analysis. Crabbies sweet and sickly, Franks has more grunt to it but a bit weak alcohol wise.

Drac

Not heard or seen the Frank's one but I see it's made by Koppasberg which means it'll be shit.

Crabbies is ok a a refreshment.

simon_g

Beaumonts is nice, less sweet, not widely stocked though. Or try making your own – only takes a couple of weeks.

ajf
    Free Member

Crabbies is nice with gin or vodka added into it! Gives it a bit more kick and masks some of the sweetness.

jam-bo

Any Ginger beer tastes nice when you put rum and lime in it.

devs
    Free Member

We have found a perfect festival breakfast drink. It's called Crab Daniels. For those who like whisky and ginger. Take a double shot of JD and top up with Crabbies. Talk about hair of the dog, this is a king sized quilt made out of alsation skins. It cures all ills and sets you up perfectly for the rest of the day. It also works with 4 Rose Bourbon, this is called Rosie Crabs.

Crankmasher
    Free Member

CRABBIES! Franks i saw was cheaper so i made the mistake of trying it and it was flat and didnt taste of ginger beer that much. It was a tad weak and yeah crabbies is too sickly after a few. Try mixing them together and the crabbies best of both lol

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Have you tried Blandford Fly from the Badger brewery

http://www.hall-woodhouse.co.uk/beers/badgerales/blandfordfly.asp

ian-r

Second for Blandford Fly.
    Ginger BEER nom nom!

Drac

Blandford fly is good but it's not ginger beer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Crabbies or Franks??’ is closed to new replies.