Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Covert owners, help!
  • chrishc777
    Free Member

Having some trouble setting up my shock on my covert 26. The shock has a light velocity tune but i cant get enough support from it, it just blows through the travel. I have added a large volume spacer and sagged it properly. Mojo reccomended a retune, either medium or firm.
    Does anyone else weigh 90kg 14stone and own a covert? If so what tune do you have on your shock?
    Loco recommended a service but as the shock is brand new i doubt it would do any good..

transition1
    Free Member

Which rear shock have you got on there? FOX CTD? I had the RP23 on my Covert.
    I am 14stone but swapped my rear shock to a BOS Vipr, sold Covert now & have a Bandit frame.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Ah yes knew id leave something out, its a 2013 covert with ctd kashima shock, lv air can

banks
    Free Member

Was the same weight & had the same issue. Just sent it to loco & its a lot better, not perfect but better. Reminds me I need to send back to him for a service.

Trimix
    Free Member

Im 85-90 kg and gave up with my PR23. Went to a CCDB in order to get it to work for me.

The bike does have a high lever ratio which air shocks struggle to cope with. The liner rate of a spring felt way better for me.

I was running so much air pressure that it messed up the rebound and small bump feel. Swopping to a spring transformed the ride.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Hmmm can’t really justify all the extra cost and weight of a ccdb for my riding, no one got one with a ctd?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve got a CTD on mine (Covert 29er with FOX CTD Trail Adjust Boost Kashima) and am 90KG (well, 87KG now after a bought of Gastroentirtis – the most effective diet i’ve ever been on!). I’ve never been that impressed with the Fox shock, for example I feel very little difference between the CTD settings – climb is OK, but Descent may as well not be there. Through a bit of fettling I think i’ve landed on a setting that is OK. The main issue I’ve had is that it seems to blow through its travel easily. I’ve installed the spacers that has helped a little and messed around with the rebound settings. I would like a bit more ‘boing’ towards the extremities of the travel (i.e. less linear response), but the first half/three-quarters of the travel feels OK now. I could probably do with sending it away for a proper tune, but its my only bike and the logistics of sending it off is a PITA.

prezet
    Free Member

I’m 12.5st (on a good day) and run mine (2013 CTD) at around 200psi. Blows through travel fairly easily, but I can’t say I really notice it when it bottoms out. This is my first bouncer after years of hardtail so not much to compare it against.

endurokid
    Free Member

Covert 2013 here with a CTD (Kashima trail adjust) and just over 13 stone and have the same issue, climb & trail mode do offer a bit more support but when in descend it blows through. Settings 1, 2 and 3 in trail mode are negotiable though. I’ve never had any major bottom out clunks so I just live with it, I’m running 200psi.

I am quite happy with the shock and it’s a lot better than the RP2 it replaced on my Enduro.

CCDB air is on my wish list for the future though (but due to cost I may just end up with a custom tune from Loco of TF)

transition1
    Free Member

When do you notice it blow through the travel?
    what PSI are you running the shock at? what does it recommend as the most PSI on shock?

endurokid
    Free Member

300 psi is max on these CTD shocks, if I’m not mistaken.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Everyone who has said to have the same problem, what velocity tune does your shock have?
    I run it up to 220 but then it just starts feeling harsh. It doesn’t bottom out nastily now ive added the volume spacer but the o ring sits at about 80% even if ive just popped off the pavement or sprinted a bit..

chrishc777
    Free Member

Yep 300psi

chrishc777
    Free Member

If the tune won’t help I’d rather keep the £50 and put it towards a ccdb air cs…

endurokid
    Free Member

Not sure on my velocity tune, not sure how you find out! I just run 200psi abs adjust the rebound to suit.

Trimix
    Free Member

With any air shock you will find it ramping up and this is going to be exacerbated by the high leverage ratio of the bike. Any tuning and fiddling wont change those simple facts.

There are cheaper spring alternatives to the CCDB however. Get a second hand one and send it off for a service.

I spent ages messing about with my airshock and speaking to all the tuning chaps – then bought a spring.

Its a Covert, not a XC racing bike. I reckon unless your less than 80kgs and dont get air you will need a spring.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Have just written to Transition, though in mmmerica they spec a float x so not sure if they’ll be able to help…

transition1
    Free Member

All 2014 Coverts come with the Float X hence why they would push it. Not tried one but they do get good reviews as a rear shock,

daveh
    Free Member

I had the same issue on my Bandit, ended up sending it to TFTuned. Options were: custom tune, PUSH with custom tune, CCDB air – they recommended the PUSH option. Can’t comment on how the other two options would have worked out but the PUSH tuned Fox is great, same bottom out performance, notable midrange support to stop it collapsing but also massively improved small bump performance (perhaps the work of the higher flow piston). Expensive but definitely worth the money (once forgotten about!).

chrishc777
    Free Member

ah yes, forgot mine is a 2013 😳
    got a response straight back, suggesting contacting TF, and agreeing that the float X is much better… Will give them a ring tomorrow

endurokid
    Free Member

chrishc777,

Let me know how you get on as I’m looking to get mine sorted, save spending over £450 on a CCDB!!

banks
    Free Member

DSP dueler ?

prezet
    Free Member

Let me know how you get on as I’m looking to get mine sorted

+1

Trimix
    Free Member

Dont forget, fitting a CCDB will make you 10% faster 🙂

Then fitting a Ti spring will make you a further 10% faster 🙂

chrishc777
    Free Member

Just had a lengthy discussion with dave(i think) from tf and he reckons the tune’ll sort it as best as possible, and confirms that everyone is having issues with the ctd shocks, from what he says its extensive work and alot gets changed. He explained the whole process in detail and it makes sense.Expensive but I’ll give it a go, like the fact the technician rings you with the shock in front of him before tuning it..

endurokid
    Free Member

How much did he quote?

prezet
    Free Member

Kind of annoying that a Fox shock isn’t exactly cheap – then you have to spend a load extra to get it to perform well.

chrishc777
    Free Member

143, service+50

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Covert owners, help!’ is closed to new replies.