Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • Covers that are more well known than the original
  • billybob
    Free Member

Following on the unusual covers thread – how about cover versions that most people don't realize are covers…

Obvious one – Soft Cell Tainted Love, originally recorded by Gloria Jones

also Nirvana Love Buzz originally recored by Shocking Blue

nuke

A modern-ish one…Valerie – Mark Ronson & Amy Winehouse – originally by The Zutons

TooTall
    Free Member

Three is the magic number – De La Soul

Original track

vim_fuego
    Free Member

Green Manalishi done by Judas Priest.
    Just listened to the original by Fleetwood Mac's Peter Green on Youtube, it's good also, a bit wierd.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cat's in the cradle, by Ugly Kid Joe.
    Originally by Harry Chapin.

WTF
    Free Member

Red Red Wine by UB40

a Neil Diamond song.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I fought the law by the clash (originally by the bobby fuller four).

vinnyeh

Blinded by the Light and Mighty Quinn, both by Manfred Mann.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Arguably, the Black Crowes version of Hard to Handle is the more well known. As may be the case with the Clapton version of I Shot the Sheriff.

yunki
    Free Member

As may be the case with the Clapton version of I Shot the Sheriff.

debatable.. verging on don't be silly

ahwiles
    Free Member
    vinnyeh

As may be the case with the Clapton version of I Shot the Sheriff.

And the Clapton version of 'Cocaine'

yunki
    Free Member

'step on' by Happy Mondays (1990) originally by John Kongos (1971)

Hairychested
    Free Member

Whisky in the Jar played by Metallica (a Thin Lizzy's song)

Brown
    Free Member

An obvious one is Johnny Cash and Hurt. I'm pretty sure most people know it's a cover, but his version's still more famous (and better) than the NIN original.

vinnyeh

Whisky in the Jar played by Metallica (a Thin Lizzy's song)

You are kidding, right?

theflatboy
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

Cat's in the cradle, by Ugly Kid Joe.
    Originally by Harry Chapin.

although you get people who are convinced those versions are by guns n roses and cat stevens, respectively.

johnny cash's version's my fav. 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Whisky in the jar is a trad folk song is it not?

"Hurt" Johnny cash – More well known than nine inch nails. Fantastically powerful as well.

oldfart

Mandy by Barry Manilow .Does he ever credit Scott English from 1970 and the fact that is was originally called BRANDY ?

nickc

All Saints version of Under the Bridge, probably better known than the Red Hot Chili Peppers original.

oldfart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QAiODMOuZE
    link to Scott English original .Horse records subsidary of Trojan .

theflatboy
    Free Member

nickc – Member

All Saints version of Under the Bridge, probably better known than the Red Hot Chili Peppers original.

come off it, there's just no way.

yunki
    Free Member

Horse records subsidary of Trojan .

there's a few pop' songs that can have their origins traced back to the Trojan back catalogue..

Always a nice treat when you find one..

I can't think of any off hand except perhaps Mungo Jerrys 'in the summertime' which although credited to one of the mungos has roots in a much earlier Jamaican Ska tune.. can anyone name it for me?

oldfart

just thought of another reggae cover .red red wine by UB40 .Originally done by Tony Tribe on album of same name with a foxy oriental girl on the cover on Downtown records !
    Neil Diamonds Holy Holy i prefer the reggae version by the Melodians on Club Reggae vol 2 .
    Got me started now I Think We're Alone Now by the mall rat Tiffany .Previously done by Tommy James and The Shondelles who did Mony Mony !

carlosg
    Free Member

'All along the watchtower' by Bob Dylan , obviously Jimi's version is more well known.

jobbyheid
    Free Member

Tainted Love.. Originally a northern soul number

jon1973
    Free Member

All this depends on how old you are surely?

mmb
    Free Member

how about blondie's the tide is high, originally by the paragons, lead singer john holt (100 volts of holt).

billybob
    Free Member

All this depends on how old you are surely?

To a certain degree, but there are plenty of tunes where the original gets no attention, then someone covers it & it slips into the public consciousness more so than the original.

For instance… Alexandra Burke & hallelujah….;-)

CountZero

Green Manalishi done by Judas Priest.
    Just listened to the original by Fleetwood Mac's Peter Green on Youtube, it's good also, a bit wierd.

You are kidding, right? Judas Priest may be a popular band, but I don't recall them ever having a single of Green Manalishi, unlike Fleetwood Mac, so I'd be prepared to bet many, many more people know the original than Judas Priest's fanbase. Up until a while back I'd have said Laughing Len's original of Halleluia was less well known than a number of covers, principally Jeff Buckley's, until X-Factor or whatever it was got Len's original into the Christmas chart.

nickc

Ya think, theflatboy?

The All saints Vid is still played on music TV now. Have you heard the RHCP original recently played anywhere?

ourmaninthenorth

Everybody's Talkin' – covers by The Beautiful South recently, and most famously Harry Nilsson.

Written (and the best version) by Fred Neil.

samuri
    Free Member

'Light my Fire' by Will young, what a musical masterpiece. Straight from the cum stained lips of the rebel himself.

Someone should have been shot for that one. I know state sponsered murder might seem a little harsh for a bad song but really, have you heard it?

yunki
    Free Member

surely the fact that you are even aware that will young released a version says more about you than it does about will.. his managers or jim morrisson himself?

nickc

The Doors – Just a Band.

To paraphrase scroobius pip

samuri
    Free Member

That I have the radio on in the car?

john_drummer
    Free Member

'Light my Fire' by Will young, what a musical masterpiece. Straight from the cum stained lips of the rebel himself.

Someone should have been shot for that one. I know state sponsered murder might seem a little harsh for a bad song but really, have you heard it?

actually, WY's version is a pretty faithful reproduction of Jose Feliciano's murdering of said song. So perhaps we should string up JF & not WY instead

john_drummer
    Free Member

and there's more:

Nothing Compares To You – Sinead O'Connor, written by Prince. Actually, an improvement on the original, IMO
    I Will Always Love You – Whitney Houston, written by Dolly Parton. Not an improvement

Geronimo
    Free Member

"Got My Mind Set on You" -cover version released by George Harrison in 1987.

…written by Rudy Clark and originally recorded by James Ray in 1962.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Lady In Red, murdered by Crispy Burger, originally by Bob Marley…brilliant reggae tune back in the day.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Covers that are more well known than the original’ is closed to new replies.