• This topic has 40 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Covering school exercise books…
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

A job that was considered homework back in the day, and it would appear its still the same today. Just had to get the sticky back plastic out in anger! 😆

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Good god, do they still do that?
    Remember covering my French exercise book in a copy of Le Monde – not a great idea in retrospect!

wrightyson
    Free Member

I was also amazed that they still do it.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Brilliant. We did it with exercise books though. My brown paper covered french text look great all year compared to my mates who used christmas wrapping paper.

cbike
    Free Member

Good way to learn your students though. Not as daft as it seems. A bit of ownership of your book means you might take care of it.

Bregante

I’m sure my parents bought a roll of anaglypta every September for exactly this purpose.

anagallis_arvensis

I cant see the point. Always predictable which ones wont do it. The ones with parents that dont help.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Front pages of Sounds on several of mine in the late 70’s

thestabiliser
    Free Member

DId my maths book with Kerrang! God squady nerk teacher made me take it off. Nerk.

Only 25 years ago. Still raw.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I got a gold star off dearest daughter for not having a single bubble under the sticky back plastic. She’d spent 2 hrs drawing a map of Spain with the flag, sunshine etc on the front and a flamenco dancer on the back, I was warned not to get bubbles and I know she’d have gone nearly teenage cow bag mental at me if I’d got it wrong. Pressure nearly got to me as I miss cut one of the corner folds but I saved it 8)

matt_outandabout

I’m sure my parents bought a roll of anaglypta every September for exactly this purpose.

Are we related?

thegreatape
    Free Member

On a slight tangent, does anyone else remember the start of each year when the Tricolore’s got handed out? You either got a newish one with plenty of unadulterated black and white pictures left to draw cocks on, or an old one that provided at least one lessons worth of amusing browsing to see the unlikely penile contortions that French people could manage.

wrightyson
    Free Member

TRICOLORE!!! My next post was going to be what was the French book called that we all got? German one was alles klar or something like that but mrs ws and I just couldn’t remember the French one!

thegreatape
    Free Member

That’s the one – with the boy playing ping pong whilst simultaneously getting noshed off by a spectator sat several metres away!

Also, Tippex cocks on school chairs anybody?

Bregante

Also, Tippex cocks on school chairs anybody?

Not at our school. Tippex was for sniffing not daubing on the furniture.

martinhutch

I was also amazed that they still do it.

I’m relieved, given my lad decided to use his books to crush a forgotten banana in his bag last week.

ads678

My lad had to cover his homework book, he’s 6. He’s got pics of mtb stuff and Mark Cavendish and some other tdf riders, and some tomatoes!! Then covered in sticky back plastic sheet.

My school books looked shit in comparison!!

CountZero

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    I cant see the point. Always predictable which ones wont do it. The ones with parents that dont help.

Isn’t it the point that the child should learn how to do it themselves? It’s not really that difficult to do, after all.
    It’s all rather a long time ago, but I’m pretty sure I covered my own exercise books with ordinary brown paper.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Isn’t it the point that the child should learn how to do it themselves? It’s not really that difficult to do, after all.
    It’s all rather a long time ago, but I’m pretty sure I covered my own exercise books with ordinary brown paper.

You’re mad you. Bonkers.

anagallis_arvensis

It has nothing to do with being able to do it or not. Some parents dont feed, dress or wash their kids let alone sit them down with scissors, paper and sticky backed plastic.

noteeth
    Free Member

Covered many of mine with Practical Fishkeeping, of all things.

Cougar

Never saw the point myself. Even as a card-carrying girlie swot of a pubescent, the idea that I’d spend my free time protecting my school books seemed bizarre behaviour to me.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not something I ever remember doing as a kid. Seems like a pointless waste of time.

spud-face

This kind of thing only happened at our school as a punishment if you were caught defacing a book – the lad whose exercise book I scribbled over wasn’t impressed when I brought it back in covered with carebear wallpaper 🙂

(flicks Vs at steve in case he’s on here)

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Used to cover mine with old covers of Zzap!64 magazine, as a nod to the rest of the Commodore-owning cognoscenti.

The Spectrum-owning riff-raff would respond with the pages of Crash.

The more hormonal among us went for pictures of Madonna culled from the pages of Smash Hits.

Pigface
    Free Member

😳 I always thought sticky back plastic was sellotape 😳

Where can you buy this mythical product?

MrNice
    Free Member

Never saw the point myself. Even as a card-carrying girlie swot of a pubescent, the idea that I’d spend my free time protecting my school books seemed bizarre behaviour to me.

in my case the penis drawing had extended to my so-called mate drawing (in black marker) a near lifesize spurting cock and hairy balls across the cover of my exercise book 5 minutes before I was due to hand in homework. I had to pretend I’d left the book at home and cover it that night. Nothing to do with protecting the book.

duckman

I hand out prizes for the most inventive covering material of textbooks(not jotters). Jon the Mosher in advanced higher for the hello kitty paper being a particular stand out this year.

passtherizla
    Free Member

It was copies of RAD that adorned my school books. Yes I was easily the coolest kid at school 😉

crankboy
    Free Member

At our school it was always offcuts of wallpaper. Nothing like having your mum’s interior design taste sneared at by the inverse snobs of ossett comp .

We were expected to do our own books not get our parents to do it.

pictonroad

never heard of this. Is it Northern?

stumpy01

pictonroad – Member
    never heard of this. Is it Northern?

Nope. We had to do this at my school in deepest darkest West London.

DrJ

I always thought sticky back plastic was sellotape

Where can you buy this mythical product?

I despair for the future of the island race.

http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/papercraft/stationery/sticky-back-plastic

binners

or

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I had some DIY 2000AD artwork on some of my books, that I had lovingly traced and sketched out in pencil.

Then one of my newly made school friends stencilled ‘**** you ****’ on the inside cover of my English notebook. My mum found this and bollocked me, which I just took, because I figured “Matthew did it” wasn’t much of an excuse. Also, I was relieved she found it, and not a teacher.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Fond memories. I had a liking for grease proof baking paper, there was always a supply in the kitchen !

grenosteve
    Free Member

No one else go with tinfoil???? 8)

bikebouy
    Free Member

quote]mattsccm – Member
    Front pages of Sounds on several of mine in the late 70’s

[/quote]

Sounds!

Bloody hell, I can remember Van Halen being in one issue..

Sounds named the issue.

“The Bulgy Trews Issue”

Hilarious.

[

Crell
    Free Member

Hmm, I vaguely remember one covered in cling film and one covered in wood chip wallpaper.

MoreCashThanDash

We had lots of really crap wallpaper to cover exercise books in my day. Sticky back plastic for text books.

Was amazed that my lad had to still do it now he’s started at secondary school. He did it all himself though, regardless of parental advice about how best to deal with the spine of the book.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Covering school exercise books…’ is closed to new replies.