Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • covering letter/CV help please
  • jag61

Hi Just in the process of career change again. So in my application need letter and CV. How far back to go? any top tips for the letter? just to cover key parts of job requirement or go for the big I AM… I CAN… Any help advise please its been a long time since Ive been here, same teaching job since 2000 !Thanks

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

just outline how what you’ve said in the cv fits their requirements better than they could ever have hoped for and how there is simply no way they’ll get anyone better for the job. keep it short and relevant.

dannybgoode

I have always been told to keep CV’s less than 3 pages, ideally 2.

Focus on the roles you have done in the past that have some relevance to what you are applying for.

Don’t put a personal interests section.

hels
    Free Member

And get somebody to proof read the letter and the CV for you. I’ll do it for free if you want, email in profile.

highclimber
    Free Member

Aviod cliche statements like ‘I can work well on my own or as part of a team’. Be yourself, but formal in the covering letter. make it personal and research the company a little so you can relate your skills to the needs of the company – use the person specification for an indication of what they are looking for. Oh, and always evidence a statement with an example.

jag61

Thanks for the help there I have tried to rewrite some of it based on replies given and all seems to be good advice. Hels big thanks for that offer I will send through when its complete. Highclimber yes but while trying to avoid cliches, they specifically ask for’good communication skill and team spirit’ thanks again back to it now
    John

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

My CV is on one page, but doesn’t include a ‘personal statement’ or any of that malarkey – that’s what Linkedin is for. I do work in design which is a little less formal, but there are still rules to be followed. 🙂

Keep it short and punchy as much as possible. Imagine you have to read 200 CVs – now think of something that will make one stand out.

jag61

thanks for help folks cv and letter now almost done PJ short of something really dodgy (it will need to be emailed in), might just have to tweak it a bit more. Hels I cant find your email in profile mine is in mine would really appreciate a quick check over. TIA john

john_drummer
    Free Member

I was taught many years ago that the covering letter was made up of 5 brief sections:

1) Dear Marty McFly, I would like to apply for the job of Time Traveller as advertised in BTTF publication/website
    2) I am currently working as Flux Capacitor Analyst for a small start-up tech company
    3) I have 25 years experience in Automotive Time Travel, including ….
    4) I am on 2 days/weeks/months notice
    5) yours sincerely, Dr Emmett Brown

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

jag – drop me a line at pimpmasterjazz at yahoo dot com if you want me to look anything over.

Alternatively there’s an email link on http://www.neilcain.co.uk/contact/

John’s letter breakdown is pretty good too. No idea who Emmett Brown is tho… 😉

john_drummer
    Free Member

never mind

petefromearth

Make sure you include hobbies/interests. I feel these sometimes say more about the person than their personal statement.

E.g. I seem to get lots of cvs along these lines…
    I am an outgoing hard working results driven team player
    In my spare time I enjoy tiddlywinks, Xbox, watching tv and stamp collecting

edward2000
    Free Member

OP – I once paid to get my CV professionally written and it was expensive, but worth every penny. My email is in my profile, so if you want to see what it looks like just ask!

jag61

Thanks for the input its looking better now, Ed liked your layout.. thanks just a bit to tweak then SEND

Albanach
    Free Member

Edward2000 YGM!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘covering letter/CV help please’ is closed to new replies.