Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Covering artex/woodchip
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

A few ceiling at Chateau Al have woodchip on them, stuck straight onto plasterboard – so if you try to strip it you end up taking off half the paper on the ‘board, making a right mess.

How viable would it be to use the artex covering stuff? Is it much different to plaster?

Stoner
    Free Member

just get a plasterer in.

better job, not that expensive.

beinbhan

Usual solution is to fix new plasterboard on top then skim coat

slowoldgit
    Free Member

You tried a steamer and patience already? We had a builder who stuck a new layer of plasterboard on top of artex. He was working in the room anyway, so the cost was part of a big bill.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Don’t have it skimmed as later it will separate. Either plaster boarded or removed.

maccruiskeen

Skim over it with carbon fibre

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

just get a plasterer in.

to:

fix new plasterboard on top then skim coat

Is wot I’d do anyway. A bit expensive but worth it for a nice finish IMHO.

creamegg
    Free Member

you can skim over artex, but make sure the artex is sound and not hollow/bubbling away

samuri
    Free Member

Our bathroom ceiling was artexed.

We just screwed a big piece of plasterboard up over it and skimmed round the edges. Took about half an hour.

Well I say ‘we’, I got some bloke to do it.

ebygomm
    Free Member

The ceiling in our lounge is an inch lower than the ceiling in our kitchen. I suspect someone fixed plasterboard and then artexed over it! Going to be interesting when we knock the wall down between the two 🙂

JacksonPollock
    Free Member

We had those awful polystyrene tiles in our bedroom (old victorian house with high ceilings). Rather than pull them down, I put up a stud framework using 4X2. Plaster Board then skim.

It’s now the flattest surface in the house, with the added bonus of having an insulated void.

bruneep

Set fire to your room it’s the only way…..

cynic-al
    Free Member

If only I had no coving…

Vader
    Free Member

i had a fully woodchipped spare room which i ummed and arred with, in the end i stripped the woodchip then skimmed with that polycell smoothover. The result is quite impressive and I have since used it again. I figuerd it was 30 quid and a bit of graft, if it didnt work out i was gonna get a plasterer in. oint buy the b and q smoothover though, it is rubbish and very hard to get a good finish ime. The polycell is very easy to use

getting the woodchip off was a pain but seemed to work best if you took the outer layer off dry then soak the backing and peel off. Steamer didnt realy help and wrecked the plasterboard

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Covering artex/woodchip’ is closed to new replies.