Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Cove Stiffee vs Cotic
  • dangermouse
    Free Member

Hi,
    I used to run a Cove Stiffee FR with 140mm Forks and it was ace. Stolen last year and been not been riding hardtails much since.
    Thinking anout another Stiffee or maybe a Cotic. Anyone ridden both? How do they compare?
    Cheers

Sancho
    Free Member

Not ridden the cotic but Ive just sold my Stiffee and am aiming to get the Maxlight XC130 as it will take a 140 fork.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Had both, still have the Stiffee.

I prefer the Cove. Better angles and much stiffer. Soul was better for all day stuff as it was more comfortable.

swisstony
    Free Member

Loved my Stiffee which was also stolen but i wanted something that would take a longer fork so i went for a BFe which is great.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Cove used to say you could put 170mm dual crowns on a Stiffee, no idea why anyone would want to do such a thing.

Olly
    Free Member

i was wondering that at one point, and then thought “its going to get 7 shades kicked out of it” so bought a 456 for a fraction of the price.

Blower
    Free Member

had both a Cove and a Bfe,cant tell any difference in comfort,rode them both an all day epics
    all mith and marketing jargon imo

tragically1969
    Free Member

Maxlight xc130, is there such a thing, I thought it was the xc120 which is rated up to 130 forks ?

Northwind

Just depends what you want it to do. Cotic is a better allrounder but not as good when you turn the heat up, it’s designed for a slightly different job. I’ve just taken my Soul to bits as I wanted something a bit harder hitting but that’s just personal taste.

Considered an Mmmbop? Fills a pretty similiar role to the Stiffee without the pricetag.

accu
    Free Member

rode a stiffee for a long time, and now a pig..
    the cove/ragley geo is quite different,
    a completely different ride…
    no experiences with the cotic..but really like the bfe..

the stiffee frame gets a rest right now, hanging on the wall, will be rebuild some day…still one of the best AM/HTs for me..

crazy-legs

I’ve ridden a Stiffee for years, got one of the early RAD tubed ones and it’s an ace bike but on the other hand the one proper ride I had on a Cotic Soul it was SO much fun. Really stiff front end thanks to the Magura forks and OS bars but the back end was skippy and light, bike was more than capable of taking the punishment.

Strangely I didn’t ‘get’ the Cotic Hemlock I rode although it was a fraction too small for me.

toys19
    Free Member

I’ve got a BFe and its ace, dunno about cove bet they are good though..

Northwind

accu – Member

“rode a stiffee for a long time, and now a pig..
    the cove/ragley geo is quite different, a completely different ride…”

Sure it’s different but it’s 2 routes to the same result. IMO the Ragley geometry is better, it has the advantage of being a blank slate design rather than Cove’s “Let’s make the fork longer and see what happens” method so it descends much the same but has better allround manners. But that’s just personal taste.

dangermouse
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback guys.
    The Stiffee I used to run was built up pretty burly. 36 Talas mostly run on the middle position and Saint kit with a bolt through back axle.
    I think I am right in saying the Cove has a pretty high BB and suited this kind of build well. Not sure if the Cotic will be any good built like this – just kind of was after a change from another Cove…
    Cheers

accu
    Free Member

northwind ..totally agree

but..took me quite a while to get “suited” to the ragley geo…

Wookster

the stiffe is more of a bfe not a soul really mate sold my stiffee and now have a bfe love it wouldnt go back.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

had both a Cove and a Bfe,cant tell any difference in comfort,rode them both an all day epics
    all mith and marketing jargon imo

Cant ever remember the bfe being marketed as a comfy bike to ride all day. Are you making things up?

I mean its a 5 and a half pound steel hardtail with fat chain stays, what were you expecting?

Blower
    Free Member

+1 dave.
    got a bfe
    got a cove stiffe,
    got a blue pig,,,
    be honest the blue pig i like the most out of them by far,

craig1975
    Free Member

had a Cove stiffee was a really good bike and now ive got one of the new Generation BFe’s.. totally loving it can’t see me looking for another hardtail for a long time..

both frames are excellent frames and I’m very sure you’ll have some fun on what ever one you get.. but save your self some cash and get the BFe.. you want regret it

my old cove

my current BFe

dangermouse
    Free Member

Craig,
    Nice looking bikes!
    Any big differences with the ride? I used to like the Cove because you could really hammer it at speed – not to bothered about climbing. How do BB heights and head angle feel against each other?
    Nice one
    Cheers

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Cove Stiffee vs Cotic’ is closed to new replies.