Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Cove Stiffee. Show me yours please
  • benz
    Free Member

Just wondering who still rides a Cove Stiffee?

Appreciate some pics and spec.

I’m guessing they still make a nice trail bike although ‘old fashioned’ nowadays.

Thanks.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I have one and still use it a lot. It’s the 69er frame from around 2001. It has had about 5 paint jobs and over the years has been set up as a free ride bike then a commuter then a trail bike, a commuter again and now I’m not sure what it is. It’s pretty much built up with retired parts from my other bikes. I mainly use it on wet muddy days to save using my better bikes and for going the long way home from work. I did consider retiring it a few weeks ago when building a new chameleon because I couldn’t get a reverb for it but decided to keep it.
    I have some pics from over the years but I’m not sure how to upload them.

crazy-legs

These are all very old pics.

Bought the bike in about 2002, I’d just moved up to the Lakes and needed something for trail-riding as my XC FS was just getting trashed by the rocky wet trails.

Back then, the choice of “hardcore hardtail” was pretty much this or the SC Chameleon and my LBS did me a good deal on this and the forks. It had Hope Minis on it originally then I got a set of XT Dual Controls for free (test pair) so they’ve stayed on it. I’m one of the 4 people who actually really liked Dual Controls! 🙂

Problem is now the whole thing is obsolete. ISIS cranks / BB, Dual Control levers, 26” wheels (held on by quick releases no less!), 9sp… Changing any one thing on it now would mean a whole raft of secondary changes. The forks (RS Psylo’s) are on their last legs although they’ve been amazingly good – RS had a few consistency problems with them but this set has been flawless. That pic is a very XC setup, it’s got a much shorter Thomson stem on at the moment.

It’s in desperate need of another paint job (already had one under warranty) but the bottom line is that it’s worth peanuts and isn’t really worth doing up. Been a great bike though, I’ve ridden it in Moab, Colorado, Alps, Pyrenees, Greece and all over the UK.

gnusmas

Finally got some pics of mine, i use it for mainly for commuting at the moment.
    2012 FR frame, u-turn pikes set at 140mm, superstar wheelset, saint m810 brakes, 1 x 9 gears, deore cranks, slx shifter, XT rear mech, raceface seatpost, spank stem and bars. Excellent do it all bike, a lot of fun on the trails. Need to shorten the poploc remote cable, something i keep meaning to do.

fangin
    Free Member

Um. Your thread has brought me up with a bit of a bump.

Does anyone _still_ ride their Stiffee? I thought, what do you mean _still_? Then I realised the Z1 bombers attached to the frame are the 2003 models and the tyres are totally-out-of-fashion panaracer cinders. Both _still_ fine I might add.

Um. Yes, I still ride it and love it. I spend more time on my Banshee Spitfire these days though.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Cove Stiffee. Show me yours please’ is closed to new replies.