Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cove Handjob – what headset do I need?
  • muzzle
    Free Member

Apologies if this is a noddy question… I recently acquired a Cove Handjob frame and I’m planning to transfer components from a Cube Acid; will I need to buy a new headset or is it possible to transfer the headset from my Cube? I have no idea if there is some sort of headset standard across frames, or whether different frames need different size/spec headsets etc.

And if I’m going to need a new headset, can any fellow Handjobbers recommend a top-notch low-price moon-on-a-stick one for me please. Thanks.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

A friend of mine took delivery of a used Handjob this week. Very nice little frame.
    His is 1 1/8″ head tube. This is the normal, old traditional size for headtubes and headsets.

I would go for a Hope headset minimum. Chris King is also good though more expensive without offering any advantage technically but has a higher bling value. Oh and Chris does them in Brown ano which looks peachy with Kashima fork stansions.

EDIT – The existing headset will more than likely be ok if its an 1 1/8″ and you don’t knacker it getting it out.

marsdenman
    Free Member

yep, it is 1.1/8th – I know for sure as I’ve just gone one.

Headset – good, but not too much money – Cane Creek S8 from Merlin £36’ish after discount..
    My previous bike came with an S8, never caused me any bother and given the price, it was a no brainer to put one in the new frame. Only ‘problem’ they come in black, black or, you guessed it, black 😉

DezB
    Free Member

My Handjob has had an FSA Orbit xl II since 2007. I think I’ve cleaned the bearings out once.
    £19.99 it was.
    Here’s one

But yeah, you can transfer the one from your Cube if you got the knowhow/tools

qwerty
    Free Member

Best ream your tube before insertion for snug as a glove Handjob action.

muzzle
    Free Member

@qwerty

I have no idea what any of that means, am I missing some valuable advice or are you just being smutty? 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

If you need to ask… 😉

muzzle
    Free Member

OK, I just googled it…

Thanks anyway chaps, just spoken to a mate who has the relevant tools and a bit of know-how so we’re going to have a go this weekend. The headset in the Cube is a Cane Creek and is almost brand new, so hopefully we can transfer that across. I’ll be looking further into your recommendations for a new one if we balls it up!

DezB
    Free Member

If you balls it up, I suspect it’ll be a new frame you’re after!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cove Handjob – what headset do I need?’ is closed to new replies.