Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Couple of woodburner stove questions…
  • Albanach
    Free Member

Is the room in which your stove in vented? If so where in relation to the stove is the vent? Currently we have no vent and the installers never mentioned it during the installation.
    I have a load of engineered oak flooring which had to come up due to a burst heating pipe – I was thinking of chopping into kindling – is there anything that should stop from burning this in the stove?

neilnevill
    Free Member

Part J regs insist on a vent only for stoves larger then 5kw. It’s what drives that figure to be so meaningless as it’s not measured in a controlled way so stove manufacturers can and do claim 5kw for some seriously big stoves.
    Rules aside, it’s the draw that is important and if the smoke test shows opening a window affects it, then ventilation is inadequate and more is needed.
    As to where to put it if needed, there are some rules i think but basically ‘in to the room’ is fine, but if you are smart you’ll try and avoid causing an annoying cold draught past the sofa. A vent close to the stove should be better here.

Don’t burn the engineered flooring, the adhesives and any selants/waxes will be awful for creosote formation.

nedrapier

presumably there’s no reason why you can’t vent into/from a suspended floor void, just under the stove?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I think the rules say that stoves over 5kw need a vent. Mine didn’t, but the installer offered to run a duct from the underfloor space (floorboards, Thirties house*) below and up through the slate base he was going to fit. It comes out under the back of the fire, is finished with a louvered plate painted black, and is invisible.

I’d try the oak. I have burned a small amount of similar left-overs, but suggest you mix it with other untreated wood.

Thirties house = generally a bit drafty anyway.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Engineered flooring mainly made of MDF or similar. Don’t burn it.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Venting from under a suspended floor is allowed in part J as I understand, and I’ve done just that (waiting on building control currently to get sign off on my stove). I’ve done as slow old git has, that way there should be less annoying drafts.

The flooring will burn great, but it will creosote up the stove. If you really want to use it, use it only for kindling and make sure you get the stove and flu properly hot soon after it’s used, this should drive out any condensate. For what you save though, it’s not worth it.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Photos of my install work, including my vent, here http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cost-of-a-wood-burning-stove

jim25

Engineered floor nearly always made from strips of ply/wood. Laminate floor generally made from mdf.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Couple of woodburner stove questions…’ is closed to new replies.