Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Couple disregard Down's Syndrome baby
  • athgray
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-28617912

Appalled by this. Good luck to the surrogate mother.

Harry_the_Spider

A disgrace.

timc
    Free Member

I was genuinely shocked by this, appalling!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Yes, read about this a couple of days ago. Pair of shits.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Horrible story in too many ways.

rene59
    Free Member

When you get into a world of babies for cash these things are bound to happen. What the customer wants they get etc.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Interesting. Presumably they would have terminated if they had been carrying him.

athgray
    Free Member

fourbanger. That is a whole interesting can of worms. I would not like to judge what a couple would like to do upon finding out if a foetus has Down’s Syndrome, but twins and a surrogate mother makes things far more complicated.

wallop

They asked the surrogate to terminate; she refused.

Awful story. Downs certainly does not carry the stigma it used to – it would be nice to see more progress in terms of parental reactions such as this one.

fin25
    Free Member

The sad thing is that, statistically speaking, most people would do the same. This number may be a little out of date, but over 90% of people choose to terminate after pre-natal tests confirm Down’s.
    I find it hard to understand this statistic, do people think having Down’s Syndrome is so bad?
    I’m not some raving pro lifer, I fully support a woman’s right to chose, I just don’t get why so many make such a choice…

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Because having a baby is expensive and humans want to pass on the best dna they can.

Terminating twins when one has downs is a bit different I guess but then having the cheek to pick up one baby and lump the other on a poor thai woman is another thing. Especially as abortions are frowned upon in Thailand. Maybe they should have paid a western woman decent money to carry them.

gonefishin
    Free Member

The sad thing is that, statistically speaking, most people would do the same. This number may be a little out of date, but over 90% of people choose to terminate after pre-natal tests confirm Down’s.

It used to be the case that because the test had such a high risk of termination that it wouldn’t be done unless you had already decided to terminate if it came back positive.

Whilst downs might not have the same stigma that it used to, it is still the case that for the most part it involves having a child that will never really become an adult. I’d not be too quick to condemn those who choose to terminate a feotus with downs.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I’d not be too quick to condemn those who choose to terminate a feotus with downs.

I would be very quick to condemn parents who choose to have a child but will only love a certain type of child who meets with their approval
    IMHO you have not understood the job of being a parent and you lack the empathy and unconditional love required to be a parent. you have failed before you even start.

This has been exemplified so tragically and horribly, by this couple so desperate to have a child they left it to die in a foreign country.

**** the pair of them who do not deserve the burden, responsibility and joy that is to be a parent.
    Imagine one day finding out your “loving” parents left your twin to die in a third world country. think how that child will feel to know that their parents did that and it could have been them but for some luck.
    Nature was doing us a favour keeping their genes out the collective pool.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Its the twin they took i feel sorry for.

Either not knowing you had a twin or your finding out our parents were selfish **** on their death bed.

yunki
    Free Member

Wow! I’m surprised at the reaction to this..
    I’m off for some bacon and eggs

crankboy
    Free Member

The 95% statistic is pretty meaningless. It is 95% of people who elect to have the test go on to abort if the test is positive for Downs. A great many people chose not to have the test . When we conceived we had a chat decided that come what may we were always going to carry on so decided not to have the test. If you have the test your are normally in a risk group and are at least considering whether you can carry on if the test is positive.

In relation to the story it is the coldness of walking away from a child you helped create who is in need combined by the consumerism of keeping the satisfactory product that alienates me.

Their preferred child will in grow up with a lot of questions and they will dread the answers coming out.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I would be very quick to condemn parents who choose to have a child but will only love a certain type of child who meets with their approval
    IMHO you have not understood the job of being a parent and you lack the empathy and unconditional love required to be a parent. you have failed before you even start.

Oh look, a pro lifer.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Downs kids are great , young downs adults too. But I’ve spent too much time dealing with downs patients aged 40-60 with elderly or no parents to think it is as simple as some above seem to think.

The couple here should have really made sure either they were willing to take on the child whatever, or the mum was willing to abort. So I blame them.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh look, a pro lifer.

I’d be interested to hear your deductions which led to this statement.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

His rather over the top accusation that gonefishin lacks the empathy to be a parent.

HughStew

A great many people chose not to have the test

Do you know this, or is it a guess. When we chose not to have the test the staff were astonished. This was 16 years ago, so things may have changed.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Oh look, a pro lifer.

You say that like it is an insult are you anti life or something?
    Unless i am being very much mistaken the child is actually alive so abortion is some of your usual dire trolling hyperbole red herring shite to get a reaction.
    Its like a low value low grade less thinking version of a Zulu post

why not do a proper troll and explain why its ok to abandon your living child? Will get a better reaction I would have thought

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

His rather over the top accusation that gonefishin lacks the empathy to be a parent.

I dunno…I reckon he meant “you” as in “one”.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Couple disregard Down's Syndrome baby’ is closed to new replies.