Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Countryfile report on trail access issues in the Peak
  • cuckoo
    Free Member

Interesting report by John Craven about illegal trail use and damage in the Peak by the 4×4 brigade and MX’ers.

They showed the damage on Houndkirk Moor which I know was discussed on here a while back.

ChrisE
    Free Member

They are just setting up the Peak District Green Lanes Alliance, to try and emmulate what the Yorkshire Dales GLA did, ie an alliance of walkers, cyclists, horse-riders, farmers, residents etc to try and rid the National Park of recreational offroaders (4x4s and trail-motorbikes).

Regular cyclists in the Dales will know what a change it has made over the last 6/8 years

C

BadlyWiredDog

There’s also a consultation on temporarily closing Chapel Gate to motorised vehicles – details here. Interesting, the ban would be for 18 months initially to allow repairs to be made, but could then be made permanent. Or abandoned. Full info, maps etc.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    br
    Free Member

Peak District Green Lanes Alliance

So they’ve deliberately chosen a name to confuse!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Laning

If we support this, they’ll have us next in their crosshairs.

ChrisE
    Free Member

That is because a temp TRO can only (legally) be made for a max period of 18 months

C

JonEdwards
    Free Member

to allow repairs to be made

I actually rather like it as it is, although blocking off all the chicken lines on the left hand side as you go down could only be a good thing. The rest of its ace. Big rocks, some decent sized steps and fast as f…!

Gravy
    Free Member

I agree with b r !

ChrisE
    Free Member

For info;

Permanent TROs, which remain in force until superseded or revoked.

Experimental orders, which may last for up to 18 months, with extensions available in certain
    circumstances.

Temporary orders (for road works, or the avoidance of danger to the public, or for litter clearance
    and cleaning) which may last for: up to six months for footpaths, bridleways, cycle tracks and
    byways open to all traffic; and up to 18 months on other roads, with extensions available in
    certain circumstances.

C

thepodge
    Free Member

This in iplayer?

ChrisE
    Free Member

Will be on I player v.soon

C

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

If we support this, they’ll have us next in their crosshairs.

What a load of alarmist rubbish, “crosshairs,” LOL.

Engines ? legs.

ChrisE
    Free Member

HWoods,

I very much agree with you.

The Government has been very pro mountainbiking & anti recreational-motor.

I know the ‘offroaders’ always say ‘you’ll be next’ as an alarmist call but that’s only because they need any alies they can and are pretty much desperate, like drowning men

C

scuttler

I don’t buy this ‘us next’ either. The biggest problem mountain bikers face is trail sanitisation which I don’t believe will be massively widespread but does occasionally ‘wreck’ a classic route. As has occurred in many places though, a couple of winters usually restores the situation.

Garry_Lager

Environmental groups like the Sierra Club in the US have been very successful in grouping mountain biking with off-roaders / MXers etc. Resulting in loads of aggravation for MTBers with access rights in some parts of the US.

We’re lucky here that obesity is not seen as something to be celebrated, so cycling benefits from the pro-health / rec lobby. From that point of view, aligning with our off-road motorcycling brethren on any access questions is probably not in our best interest. Under the bus with them.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Environmental groups like the Sierra Club in the US have been very successful in grouping mountain biking with off-roaders / MXers etc. Resulting in loads of aggravation for MTBers with access rights in some parts of the US.

Just had a quick look out the window. We’re still in the UK: I don’t have a basement full of semi-automatic weaponry and anal sex is still legal. God bless Blighty.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Countryfile report on trail access issues in the Peak’ is closed to new replies.