• This topic has 35 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by grum.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Countryfile now – Grizedale MTB
  • br
    Free Member

on the Beeb

spacemonkey

Nice one, tarp b r.

kimbers

bikey bit

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

Julia Bradbury. FFS 🙄

br
    Free Member

Julia Bradbury. FFS

When you’re older you’ll appreciate her 🙂

bruneep

When you’re older you’ll appreciate her anything

djglover
    Free Member

John Craven is a real life Alan Partridge

jruk
    Free Member

And now Silent Witness. Rock ‘n’ Roll!

sparksmcguff

Just back from staying on the edge of Grizedale with direct access to the forest. Didn’t quite appreciate how much lovely lovely lovely single track there is in there. But shhhh, just tell everyone than the North Face loopy IS Grizedale.

rOcKeTdOg

that 3 minute section of MTB was better then all the episodes of The Cycle Show put together

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

Julia Bradbury. FFS

When you’re older you’ll appreciate her

How much older, I’m 38 and she doesn’t rock my boat. Now Ellie Harrison she does!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Dont ride the tracks without a helmet though, you’ll get told off!

zokes
    Free Member

Dont ride the tracks without a helmet though, you’ll get told off!

Why, does a certain ex-STW inhabitant work there?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Why, does a certain ex-STW inhabitant work there?

I dont know, I dont think so.

A friend told me a funny story about him getting told off a a couple of months ago for not wearing one whilst he was riding there.

d45yth
    Free Member

The sooner folk who don’t like wearing helmets have an accident the better, get ’em out of the gene pool! I had high speed crash on some rocks at Grizedale on Saturday…I couldn’t believe I got right back up with just a few grazes. Turns out it was the side of my helmet that took the brunt of the impact, I felt like I’d had an uppercut off Mike Tyson this morning! God knows what I would have been like without a helmet on.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

D45yth that make be the case but you did brake your neck due to the rotational injuries (you must not have noticed though) 😀

d45yth
    Free Member

It never stopped me from riding again today! 😛

globalti
    Free Member

My son aged 13 lost concentration and crashed his road bike hard last Thursday. He was unconscious for a minute then came round very confused. Ambulance to Carlisle hospital, scans, X rays, only damage is a small fracture of a facial bone, lots of bruising and abrasions.

His helmet is clogged with mud and scratched up and his riding glasses covered in mud and blood, his head hit the muddy bank hard enough to leave a furrow two feet long so we believe that without the helmet things would have been worse, even if it was only superficial damage to his scalp and face.

br
    Free Member

How much older, I’m 38 and she doesn’t rock my boat.

You’re a mere child.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Mr_Mojo – Member

Julia Bradbury. FFS
    Whom were you expecting? It’s Countryfile…it’s either her, John Craven or farmer Barleymow.

Dancake
    Free Member

Just Googled Julia Bradbury. Top notch I feel.

Dancake: 37

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I met craven on The Mendip making an episode of Countryfile. Really nice chap.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Bradbury…. mmmmm (36)

Missed Countryfile last night. Shall get onto iPlayer later on I think. Not been riding in Grizedale for a while though we keep talking about it since a) it is close and b) I have a parking permit 😉

scruff
    Free Member

Ellie.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The thing is – that was a “black” run? Really?

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

and here we go again…

IF anyone feels that they have something to add to the conversation regarding the volunteer built trails, that were also built with no funding, then they can come along in the Autumn to help do more digging on the new trails that are being proposed, and help do some repair work to the NFT.

If you can drag yourselvels away from the keyboard.

Get in contact with the shop for proposed dates. I will be posting again here when dates are confirmed. Won’t be just yet though.

As for helmets, wear one, don’t wear one, it’s your head, so it’s your choice. Was out in Grizedale yesterday, and saw plenty riding without. Meh.

FYI, it’s about 30 miles and about an hours drive to Furness General.

I’ll not be adding anything further to this conversation.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Oh. Right-o, then…

grum
    Free Member

Yes. Have you ever ridden it? Though I would have thought in line with other FC centres it should have been graded Orange.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

My mate said it was quite good fun.

It looks liek the sort of trail that can be enjoyed by beginners wearing helmets, or if you’re a more experienced rider looking for a bit more of a rush, ride it without a helmet.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Yes. Have you ever ridden it?

No, but I’ve ridden what Clive Powell calls a Black Run up around the Elan Valley and found it all but impossible due to the ruts, roots, rubble and all sorts of natural gnarl.

From what I saw on the telly, it looked like a nice smoothed surface like that wouldn’t give me any trouble at all.

Pook

are all the trail builders that angry? ^^

GRRRRRR!!!

stumpyjon

are all the trail builders that angry? ^^

Yep, flippin cyclists riding our trails 😆 (on a more serious note people riding trails before they’re ready is a major issue, makes building them a lot more difficult).

labsey
    Free Member

Bradbury = Yes! (27).

rOcKeTdOg

Name calling and insults have no place on the bike forum, take yourself off to Chat and get yourself a ban please

d45yth
    Free Member

I took a group around Grizedale on Saturday, taking in most of the best descents the area has to offer (I think the only one we didn’t do was the one down to Nibthwaite). We ended up at the VC after coming down Boulder Alley, I suggested doing the Black as it would be close by and I wanted to try it myself. We went and got some advice in the shop first and were told it’s a lot steeper than it looks in video and watch out for this and that. All of us were disappointed after riding it, especially after what we’d already done and the effort of riding up the bridleway for such a short descent (I know there are other ways up). It sounds like I’m really knocking it, if you’re the type to keep pushing up the trail and doing multiple runs, you’ll enjoy it. If you’re out a long ride and not doing the NFT, I’d stick to the usual suspects…Grandad, Dad and the Dentist, Satterthwaite, Devils Gallop, etc.

EDIT: To keep on topic I’ll add this. The bloke who Julia was talking to, more or less said “You can’t just ride down here on any bike, you’ll end up in a heap and it won’t be pretty”. Really? I suppose he had to say that from a safety perspective. There are much more dangerous bits around the forest that people ride on all kinds of bikes. 🙄

grum
    Free Member

It’s not great if you just try to get down it, but seeing people ride it properly (I can’t but I’d like to be able to), ie clearing all the doubles and riding it flat out looks like great fun.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Countryfile now – Grizedale MTB’ is closed to new replies.