Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • John Craven has just persuaded my other half to visit the lake district..
  • yunki
    Free Member

I've fancied a week or two bimbling around the lake District since reading so many stories about the place and seeing so many great photos on here..
    I'm not usually too bothered about annual holidays but my other half just caught a bit of the Lake District themed Countryfile programme and suggested it as a destination for a week or so family holiday next spring!!

RESULT!!

We have a pretty robust baby who will be around 18 months in spring.. and my good lady doesn't do much cycling due to asthma so they will want other distractions on the days that I will be on the bike..

We're always on a pretty tight budget and aren't averse to camping.. We will also want to investigate a self catering cottage or good B and B..

Any thoughts and ideas on the subject?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

We met him on the Mendips a few years back. He's lovely. I have a pic somewhere.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oh, I thought Mr Craven had tried it on with your better half, and wanted her to slip away for a dirty weekend with him.

Which is a slightly more racy scenario.

And I wouldn't put it past him, the dirty bastard.

NikNak7890
    Free Member

I'm not a huge expert on Cumbria,but love it more than anywhere else in this country, and would say that the Northern Lakes offer more "real Cumbria" than the Tourist populated south.

Maybe base around Ullswater?

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

I absolutely love the Lakes, but there are better places to go with wife's and young children who don't engage in outdoor activities IME.

yunki
    Free Member

I absolutely love the Lakes, but there are better places to go with wife's and young children who don't engage in outdoor activities IME.

Thanks for the obvious statement there Mr Pooch.. but the good Lady has a very strong hankering to visit Beatrix Potter country so who am I to deny her wishes?

trailmonkey

Try Sykeside campsite which is at the foot of the Kirkstone pass. Excellent facilities with added bonus of on site bar and pub with b&b and small roomed bunkhouses.

Google it.

Drac

I'm not a huge expert on Cumbria,but love it more than anywhere else in this country, and would say that the Northern Lakes offer more "real Cumbria" than the Tourist populated south.
    Maybe base around Ullswater?

Where all the tourists go then?

Lakes is lovely but it's very popular for a good reason. Nit sure what there is to do if your not into walking. Pencil factory?

Dawnrazor
    Free Member

We've just come back from the lakes and had stayed in Hawkshead. A nice little place close to Hilltop and as it happens Gizedale forest. Recommended 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

the Northern Lakes offer more "real Cumbria" than the Tourist populated south.

Why is there this north south distinction..? Why does the South appeal more to tourists..? I'm likely gonna be doing a mountain of research over the coming months but I'm just trying to get a bit of a heads up..

elaineanne
    Free Member

lake district is lovely… done many of the 'Wainwright walks in Borrowdale…facinating views once your so high up on the mountains…
    you must visit the good ole 'Yorkshire Dales' as well sometime… some great walks and caving/climbing around there too !

Trekster

We have a pretty robust baby who will be around 18 months in spring.. and my good lady doesn't do much cycling due to asthma so they will want other distractions on the days that I will be on the bike..

I also havre asthma as do a lot of other riders/sports people. Take it is not controlled or v-bad?

You could try the YHAs at Ambleside or Keswick for family rooms.
    Keswick and Kendal have swimming pools.

Lots of Lakes with boats/steamers on them.

Staveley has Wheelbase bike shop, Wilfs cafe, a brewery, a deli with some lovely cheeses, little bakeries

Kendal has Evans bike shop

Ambleside has Biketreks

Keswick has Keswick Mountain Bikes.

My wife does not bike due to other med probs but we can always find plenty to do. Taking grandkids to the wildlife centre across the Lake from Windermere.

Grizdale has a new visitor centre, play area and bike shop.

There is a narrow gauge railway, forget where.
    A slate mine
    Touristy open top bus

Plenty to keep everyone occupied.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘John Craven has just persuaded my other half to visit the lake district..’ is closed to new replies.