Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Country folk what is this thing?
  • slowoldman

we’d find loads of them in places like golf courses

Well you don’t want a crow grabbing your balls do you?

Anyway I’d release the crows and trap the gamekeepers.

allan23
    Free Member

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/01/death-from-above-the-ravens-slaughtering-newborn-lambs/

From last year but it’s been on the farming news lately as a problem in Devon and Dorset in particular. Eyeballs and toungues are tasty and easy to get as mentioned. Farmer on interview lost 20 ewes last year with flocks of ravens attacking at once. So yep they can be a pest.

They’re protected so the traps are the only legal method, although it was mentioned a limited licence to shoot was being considered. Apparently members of the crow family are quite tricky to hit though.

If there’s one thing I’ve taken from moving into a rural area, it’s don’t mess with what you don’t understand. Those who destroy the traps are no better than the hippy idiots that released mink into the wild.

If you don’t agree and think it’s illegal, photo it, report it and let someone who knows decide.

bigjim

Those who destroy the traps are no better than the hippy idiots that released mink into the wild.

I’ll disagree with the start of your statement. Releasing mink has been a total disaster though.

grenosteve
    Free Member

I’d rescue the poor git.

Even death at birth by having your eyes and tongue pecked out sounds more humane that being trapped for weeks in small box while you starve.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

When clicking through I thought this thread was about folk music…

mt
    Free Member

@ legend – Member

mt – Member
    Mind there’ll be a Great-tit along shortly to disagree.

“Perfect internet arguement tactics here ^ straight in with “anyone who disagrees is a ****” 10/10 “

Thanks for pointing that out, thought I was joking not using trolling skillz. I’d never name call a person that I disagree with (mostly). I would point out that the Great-tits are bullies round our garden.

dashed
    Free Member

Call birds (in larsen traps) have to have water, perch and food. Any sort of trap has to be checked every 24hrs as a minimum, so starving to death over weeks in a small box isn’t how these things are designed or legally allowed to be used.

How they are used in reality may differ somewhat from good practice and the law, as with most things in life sadly…

CountZero

Magpies raid the nests of other birds, blue tits and the like.

They do indeed, so do seagulls.
    Still, I’m sure the parent of the baby blue tit I saw in the mouth of a nearby neighbours cat will be comforted by the fact that you’re more concerned about the magpie, of which there are much smaller numbers than cats.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Country folk what is this thing?’ is closed to new replies.