Viewing 8 posts - 121 through 128 (of 128 total)
  • Country File NOW -Greenlaning!
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Definitely agree though that a lot of the arguments aimed at 4x4s will be turned to mtbs if 4x4s are banned. Seen plenty of trails ruined by bikers avoiding puddles or riding through already muddy areas.

Whilst true, in proportion a lot of the existing errosion is often the result of motorised use (I’m thining of Chapel Gate etc). And banning a few 4×4’s is a loss to the local economy of a few £’s (MTB’ers still have to drive there so petrol stations are moot) but removes a lot of the pressure on the trails. Removing a few thousand MTB’ers could bankrupt local businesses (Peaslake stores? Hope Woodbine Cafe? 18bikes?) who get a significant part of their trade from us.

Yes I can see how it’s enjoyable for some people to drive off road, it’s a question of whether their enjoyment takes precedence over the ability of many more users to use the track afterwards.

Bessides, they might all swap their TD5’s for Trek’s.

DaRC_L

scu98rkr – go and sit on the 0ty step.
    How dare you come up with sensible suggestions on a STW thread
    – everyone knows that only trollery and spurious spontaneous ‘fact-making’ are allowed.

convert

there needs to be more focus on what is sustainable.

What a rights of way is classified as currently seem very random.

Basically because the difference between a footpath/bridleway/BOAT was just decided by a a series of civil servants in the 50’s.

The current thinking seems to be if its a bridleway/BOAT and its not sustainable it needs to be repaired to a standard so it is sustainable.

Personally I think all rights of way should be reclassified on sustainability.

MTBer either need to be classed with walkers as they are so similar or have their own group they are not comparible to horse’s see below.

average walker weights 70kg
    average MTB 80 kg + 20 kg average.
    average horse rider 500kg + 70kg
    average 4×4 1500kg +

Alot of trails in clay areas should only be bridleways in the summer.

That makes a hell of a lot of sense. For folk that live in well draining areas I suspect what you typed will seem an irrelevance but living in an area exactly as you describe the concept of sustainability is an important one.

stevemtb
    Free Member

Yes I can see how it’s enjoyable for some people to drive off road, it’s a question of whether their enjoyment takes precedence over the ability of many more users to use the track afterwards.

That’s my point though, have certain trails specifically for the 4×4 community and walkers find a different route that avoids it. There is plenty of countryside, I’m willing to bet most of the people complaining drive to the start point and enjoy the fact that they can moan about the 4x4s. There’s got to be something to make walking enjoyable afterall and suspect for some of these people having a cause to moan about is as enjoyable as the walking…

As mentioned, it’s about responsible use and most 4×4 clubs and users will encourage avoiding the trails that they’ll ruin. It’s the actions of a few that spoil it for many.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

That’s my point though, have certain trails specifically for the 4×4 community and walkers find a different route that avoids it.

So the off road driving lot can find and pay for these trails? Pay for the maintenance to keep them usable?

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

I Think the Ridgeway is well spoilt now been graded so much not much fun on anything.Best bit now is the rutted bit to the top of the Avebury byway.They have graded loads of them around there Ramsbury Byways/Albourne/West wood etc.Wilts council must be loaded.

neilthewheel

there needs to be more focus on what is sustainable.
    What a rights of way is classified as currently seem very random.

Basically because the difference between a footpath/bridleway/BOAT was just decided by a a series of civil servants in the 50’s.

The current thinking seems to be if its a bridleway/BOAT and its not sustainable it needs to be repaired to a standard so it is sustainable.

Personally I think all rights of way should be reclassified on sustainability.

MTBer either need to be classed with walkers as they are so similar or have their own group they are not comparible to horse’s see below.

average walker weights 70kg
    average MTB 80 kg + 20 kg average.
    average horse rider 500kg + 70kg
    average 4×4 1500kg +

Alot of trails in clay areas should only be bridleways in the summer.

Just what we need – a bureaucratic solution. That should take about 2 decades to sort out.

geoffj

*coughs*

Who are your favourite Nazis?
    CaptainFlashheart – Member
    SFB, there’s little or no tolerance there, unless it’s what they agree with!
    Has anyone mentioned traffic wardens yet? No? Then take this as a mention!
    POSTED 5 YEARS AGO # REPORT-POST

Viewing 8 posts - 121 through 128 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘Country File NOW -Greenlaning!’ is closed to new replies.