• This topic has 14 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by aP.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Country bumpkin visiting London town – suggestions please :)
  • Sue_W
    Free Member

I’m heading down to that big city place for work next week and again the week after. Hoping to have an afternoon and evening off to exolore, so suggestions needed …

With only a short time availalbe, what should I do / where should I go? Arts stuff, buildings stuff, classic parks, somewhere to go in the evening ???

Definately no shopping, and it’s no good sending me somewhere that’s uber-trendy ‘cos I haven’t got a clue about that sort of thing …

Oh, and the number of people, cars, tube options etc leave me slightly confused, so the simplier the suggestions the better 🙂

(I did say I was a bumpkin, and am more used to making my way around the mountains of North wales using an OS map …)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Arts stuff, buildings stuff, classic parks, somewhere to go in the evening ???

Arts stuff – National Gallery and National Portrait Gallery, both on Trafalgar Square would be a great starting point.
    Buildings stuff – Well, Trafalgar Square’s worth a look, and walking distance of Whitehall and the Palaces.
    Classic parks – From Trafalgar you can walk all the way through St James’s, Green and Hyde, then bimble through Kensington Gardens to;
    Somewhere to go in the evening – Lots of nice pubs in Kensington and Chelsea

Am sure others will have other recommendations. Thing is, there’s almost too much to choose from!

Oh, and get on a Boris Bike. Great way to get around town.

aP
    Free Member

Whereabouts in that place are you going to, as that makes a difference as to where suggestions might be. Do you have any preferences as to food, kultur, etc?

rewski
    Free Member

Southbank is worth a visit – Tate Modern, stroll along either direction for nice river walks, bars, restaurants etc, London Eye, Royal Festival Hall etc etc

There’s a Klee exhibition on at the Tate Modern I think.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Oops, in the wrong forum … anyone know how i can transfer this to the ‘chat’ forum?

rewski
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry – no one seems to care.

grum
    Free Member

Tate Modern is great – enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Going to be around the Russell Square and Regents Parks areas.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Take one of those open-top bus tours, see Barbican and The Docklands, visit Richmond, do Trafalgar Sq. Loads to see, loads to visit. Enjoy!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sue_W – Member
    Going to be around the Russell Square and Regents Parks areas.

In that case, may I recommend the Wallace Collection? Marvellously bonkers place.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Museums and Galleries are world class, without knowing your interests I’d go with the Natural History although probably best just pick one that interest you. They are all good.

If the weather is nice then get yourself a takeaway lunch and go sit in one of the royal parks, people watching at its finest. Stroll along the south bank, from Westminster Bridge to Tower Bridge.

So far it’s cost you nothing aside from lunch.

rewski
    Free Member

British Museum, Serpentine Gallery

docrobster
    Free Member

We went for the weekend and took a london duck tour recently- good fun and preferable to the open topped buses. Not sure if they run in the evenings.
    Stroll along southbank from the eye to tate modern and back is quite pleasant.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oh yes, British Museum up that part of town as well! How could I forget!

aP
    Free Member

From Russell Sq – it’s obviously got to include the British Museum, lots of squares and things round Bloomsbury to look at, the Inns of Courts are great to walk through, and if you’re there on the right day go to the Sir John Soane Museum in the evening.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Country bumpkin visiting London town – suggestions please :)’ is closed to new replies.