Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Countermeasure to fix ovalised headtube
  • Dekerfer
    Free Member

The headset cup in the top of my headtube has become slightly loose. As the frame is steel, I want to make sure that the movement doesn’t get any worse.

Is the only solution to buy a deepcup headset? If so, aside from the Chris King Steelset and FSA Pig Pro DH (22mm cup version) are there any other options?

mamadirt
    Free Member

Raceface Diabolus or Nuke Proof Warhead ST?

brakes
    Free Member

are you sure it’s ovalised? I had a headset cup come loose but it was because the cup was knackered

kiwijohn

Syncros make deep cup headsets, cheaper than CK & lighter than FSA

Dekerfer
    Free Member

Good work everyone! Lots of good suggestions – the syncros is getting the nod so far – just need to check whether the replacement bearings are easy to find.

crankrider
    Free Member

Just something to think about – You may need it to be reamed as its unlikely the frame manufacturer finished the headtube that deep (it would be murder to get a deep-cup headset into an unfinished steel headtube)

brant
    Free Member

Chris King are always very undersize. On-One smoothies are quite big, and FSA Pigs are huge. That’ll fix it tight.

takisawa2

Cant you squeeze the headset cup in a vice to match the frame…

Joke. Obviously. He said.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Once you get a Pig in (can be tricky even with a press) it ain’t ever going to get loose. As Brant says, they are mahoosive.

djglover
    Free Member

coke can shim, worked for ages on an old bike of mine

sssimon
    Free Member

yep I fixed my old on one for 6 months with a pig while I waited for my curtis to arrive, nice and tight when a king would just come out by hand

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Locktite bearing fit might help as well – I ovalised the bttom of the headtube on the tandem – and FSA pig headset with the deep insertion and locktite bearing fir has worked in that it has not come lose again – but the headset needs replacing and I dread trying too get it out again

Dekerfer
    Free Member

OK, I am now tooled up with both a FSA Pig Pro DH stainless steel (heavy but effective) and a press on the way.

I am hoping that the inside of the headtube is going to be OK – it’s a great quality frame so may have had some love applied…..

Thanks again for the help.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Countermeasure to fix ovalised headtube’ is closed to new replies.