Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Council tip, where does recycling end and tipping begin?
  • Mugboo

As a van driver (not a tradesman), I need a permit and then have to go to the same tip everytime.

Since getting side windows fitted I seem to get away with going to different tips but there must be a good argument for the fact that I’m not ‘tipping’, I’m surely recycling most of the time.

enduro-aid
    Free Member

you are recycling all of the time….very little of what you actually chuck in the big containers actually gets tipped

if your local centre has split units the metal will be taken and melted down and re-used….the solid timber is taken shredded and made in chip board or fibre board….the MDF units are crushed and used to fire sustainable fuel power plants….the garden waste is composted and re-sold and even the rubble section will be crushed and processed and sold as infill or type 1 for engineering / construction

even the “general waste” section will be sorted for anything of value and then and only then will they land fill whats left

We as a country actually do quite well in terms of recycling

ransos
    Free Member

Since getting side windows fitted I seem to get away with going to different tips but there must be a good argument for the fact that I’m not ‘tipping’, I’m surely recycling most of the time.

It’s nothing to do with whether you’re tipping or recycling. Council “tips” are funded out of council tax for private citizens so they try and stop trades people from using them for free. The fact that you’ve fitted windows means you’re less likely to be a trader in their eyes which is why you’re “getting away with it!

MrsToast
    Free Member

When we moved house, we hired a van from Enterprise. My sister-in-law and I needed to go and get some furniture and we also needed to recycle the large cardboard box that had held the TV. We were told at the entrance that we had to pay £35 if we wanted to use the recycling centre whilst driving a van (even though the tiny sign was very vague about the matter, it just said, “Some vans may need a permit”), so we drove off site, parked nearby, and carried the lone cardboard box into the cardboard recycling. We promptly caught a bollocking and were told that we were illegally flytipping and could be fined £5000. I’m a proper criminal, me.

Apparently I should have driven to the recycling centre in the car, put the cardboard box in the recycling, then driven home and got the van to get the furniture. Because unnecessary journeys are awesome for the environment, as is making recycling as awkward as possible for people.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yep not a fan of the always guilty with no way to prove innocent feeling at the tips these days

Sexist too

If i go to the tip in the van i get hassle without fail on my first trip of the day. ( i tend to go once in a blue moon with a few loads rather than take it as it needs to go)

If the mrs goes to the same tip with the same van she gets no hassle …..

project
    Free Member

As a tradesman and van driver, i never ever take other peoples building waste to the recycling centre, it was generated by them and should be disposed of by them, also i would need a waste carriers licence, so i just leave it there at the customers home.

Our local centre recycles most stuff which is great for the environmnet and the money raised pays for the centre, not a big hole inthe ground.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Council tip, where does recycling end and tipping begin?’ is closed to new replies.