Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Council Tax – Previous address rebanded, am I due a rebate?
  • ncfenwick
    Free Member

Ok so we moved out a property in March 2013 having paid Council Tax based on band E valuation since November 2009. According to Directgov site this address is now a Band D with effect from 23/5/2009.

I reckon the Council owe me a rebate but has anyone tried this before and succeeded?

Cheers

wobbliscott
    Free Member

You’ve said band E in both cases, I assume it’s now rebranded to the next band from E? If so you should be. A mate of mine got a rebate, a couple of grand or there abouts. He then contacted the previous occupants of the house and they got an even bigger rebate too as the had been in the house for some time, despite having moved out 3 or so yrs previous. Worth a go.

northernmatt

Haven’t done it on a property I no longer live in but we managed to get a flat we rented down from B to A and they back dated it to when we moved in. It’s worth a try.

ncfenwick
    Free Member

Sounds promising…property now a band D from band E

mrmo
    Free Member

property i moved out of 3 years ago, got a letter from council about 6 months ago saying that due to a rebanding i was due a rebate, cheque followed for the 8 months i was in the house.

I didn’t do anything, just got sent a cheque and letter by the Council.

Matt24k
    Free Member

I got a rebate for the previous 12 years. Once the property has been rebanded, due to an error in the original valuation, it is really easy for all the other residents with the same type of property to apply for refunds.
    The refunds are due to whoever paid the council tax in the years where the incorrect bandings were applied.
    With my local council all it took was a phone call from me pointing out that I was aware of a rebanding of an identical property in my road.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Council Tax – Previous address rebanded, am I due a rebate?’ is closed to new replies.