Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Couldnt have happened to a nicer girl
  • Stoner
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-22652083

Mrs Bercow said she was “surprised and disappointed” by the ruling.

A subsequent High Court hearing will determine the damages she must pay.

brace yourself, Sally, this is going to sting a bit.

mt
    Free Member

I am trending amused face.

footflaps

That’s just made my day!

🙂

boblo
    Free Member

Just the other silly girl to be dealt with now….

atlaz
    Free Member

Can the “damages” he’s awarded be something other than money? I’d like to see the court force her to keep her mouth shut and her out of the public eye.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I really don’t see how her tweet was libel.

wwaswas

I can see me feeling a bit miffed if someone tweeted that I was a paedophile.

Judgement is quite interesting;

http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/QB/2013/1342.html

hmanchester
    Free Member

I really don’t see how her tweet was libel.

She was essentially saying the Lord Mcalpine was a paedophile. It was phrased in a sarcastic and offhand way, but the message was clear.

robdob
    Free Member

I can’t see it either – tried thinking about it in a number of ways.

Does the :innocent face: text make some sort of smilie??

wwaswas

It’s all in the judgement;

In my judgment the reasonable reader would understand the words “innocent face” as being insincere and ironical. There is no sensible reason for including those words in the Tweet if they are to be taken as meaning that the Defendant simply wants to know the answer to a factual question.

mrmoofo

Of course it was libel. She insinuated that he was a peadophile. As much as you may not like McAlpine, Bercow does not have diplomatic immunity just because of her husbands job.

She tweeted it with her normal attention whoring aplomb, so that she got right on trend and more attention. Unfortunately, with someone so close to the government , it then added credibility to the kiddie fiddling stories.

If it clips her wings and makes her STFU then it is win/ win to all concerned. It will also make the the banal Twitteratti think twice about the indulgent crap they post in future.

Markie
    Free Member

If she has to pay costs then I predict a lot more Sally across the media over the coming months…

cardo

Edukator
    Free Member

A case of the wrong McAlpine according to some.

footflaps

She took out insurance over the costs, so sadly she is unlikely to be bankrupted and left destitute.

She has hired lawyers at Carter-Ruck on a no-win, no-fee basis and is believed to have taken out insurance to cover costs of up to £100,000 should she lose.

wrecker
    Free Member

Why would anyone follow sally bercow on twitter? 😯
    She’s a no-mark who happens to be married to the speaker of the house.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Continually slag-off the poor and vunerable and nothing happens. Make a mistake about one of the powerful and look what happens…

hmanchester
    Free Member

Continually slag-off the poor and vunerable and nothing happens. Make a mistake about one of the powerful and look what happens…

Anything specific you want to get off your chest, or just a generalisation?

vorlich
    Free Member

Mr Justice Tugendhat

😆

cranberry
    Free Member

Can the “damages” he’s awarded be something other than money? I’d like to see the court force her to keep her mouth shut and her out of the public eye.

+1

A scold’s bridle

AdamW
    Free Member

As an interesting aside (well I think of it as interesting) a certain Lord McAlpine wrote a book called “The New Machiavelli” which contains entries on how to deal with the media, for example: http://incubusblog.wordpress.com/2012/11/17/the-new-machiavelli/

Saying that, a pox on both their houses.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

A case of the wrong McAlpine according to some.

indeed so, should be coming out in the inquiry into north wales care home abuse—- as others say,the rich and powerful control the hidden levers as well….

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Couldnt have happened to a nicer girl’ is closed to new replies.