Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 340 total)
  • Could you live on £26,OOO per year. DC content
  • breatheeasy
    Free Member

Not sure you’re the right person to be making this point.

+1

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Spot on Mike – apologises for being drawn into such behaviour!!

konabunny
    Free Member

I earn many multiples of the average wage, so for me to be out of work for five or six months isn’t quite the problem it is for others.

Well, not to be nasty about it, but in that case, was the real reason you didn’t sign on “pride” or just “it wasn’t worth my time to jump through all the hoops for the sake of £67.50 when I had tons of money saved anyway”?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Teamhurtmore

It was so predictable you would make the personal attack. – shows the paucity of your argument

The think is I have real experience and real knowledge of the effects on real people and know that what you state is simply wrong.

I am simply not going to engage with you anymore.

allthepies
    Free Member

Edinburgh defence is engaged.

elzorillo
    Free Member

Konabunny: Let me count the fallacies.

– You don’t get 24k on JSA.

I never said you did.. I said that an unemployed couple with three kids living is a cheap rented house @ £400 per month get that in benefits.

Picking and choosing which benefits fit your slant on the story is silly.. £24k is the amount you get in total benefits excluding all the extras such as free school meals, clothing grants etc etc. That is a fact.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Thanks TJ – you a have merely answered my question on the previous page!

JY – steer clear of the LSE with comments like that!! 😉

Marin
    Free Member

I do not see why you cannot sign on if you have savings over £4000 if its still that.
    As this is money I have already paid taxes on. If I have nothing I would be able to sign on. It does suggest that if you are on the financial edge you would be better off falling over it when dealing with the government.

allthepies
    Free Member

I do not see why you cannot sign on if you have savings over £4000

IIRC you can obtain contribution based benefits if you’ve been made redundant and have a suitable history of NI payments behind you. This is not means tested and still applies even if you had a million quid in the bank. Only paid for a set number of months though.

Junkyard
    Free Member

26 weeks and you may only get your NI paid depending on the redundancy terms as they may still be “paying you” your notice period.
    2 years full NI iirc
    You can always sign on you just dont get any money but you will get your NO stamp paid

mcboo
    Free Member

The think is I have real experience and real knowledge of the effects on real people and know that what you state is simply wrong.

I am simply not going to engage with you anymore.

I think we have been here before……

😐

Lifer
    Free Member

elzorillo – Member

“Konabunny: Let me count the fallacies.

– You don’t get 24k on JSA.”

I never said you did.. I said that an unemployed couple with three kids living is a cheap rented house @ £400 per month get that in benefits.

Picking and choosing which benefits fit your slant on the story is silly.. £24k is the amount you get in total benefits excluding all the extras such as free school meals, clothing grants etc etc. That is a fact.

Um

elzorillo – Member

£24k for popping down to the job centre once a while with a list of companies I unsuccessfully contacted looking for work… easy money.

I am truly gobsmacked that there are people out there who think this sort of thing doesn’t go on. Then again, as I said elsewhere.. the guardian/independent readers of this world have a seriously clouded view of reality from their safe public funded job.

You did.

yunki
    Free Member

konabunny
    Free Member

£24k for popping down to the job centre once a while with a list of companies I unsuccessfully contacted looking for work… easy money.

You don’t get 24k on JSA.

I never said you did.

😆 🙄 😆

project
    Free Member

That [woman] on the news asking why should she be moved out of her London home where she had a good lifestyle and was near friends? Err the why is because you’re living off the state and the state has a duty to the taxpayers to ensure it supports you in an economical and prudent way.

So thats the Quuen screwed then, just before her retirement party.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

If anyone is scared to read the Institute of Fiscal Studies right wing propoganda, I will save them the effort. They merely predict that 500,000 more children will be made poor by the proposed cuts. Bl**dy fascists, how dare they! 😉

nickf
    Free Member

kona, it’s probably a combination of the two, if I’m honest. I was certainly entitled to claim, and you’re correct to state that I’ve paid into the fund. Sure, I had savings to draw upon, but I could have drawn upon what is, effectively, my fund.

As I said, I chose not to. I suspect there are many others who do the same.

elzorillo
    Free Member

Lifer: Konabunny:

I dont know why you insist in twisting my words.. I have never mentioned JSA or any individual benefit. I said the amount an unemployed family will receive in benefits for a VERY modest house.

Here is a summary of how that benefit is made up.. exactly as I said, from the gov website.

Now you obviously have some agenda here, but it isnt working (mind the pun) but keep it up as it’s fun to watch.

Have a go yourself.. you may find it’s not worth working..Turn2us

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Going back to my original point that it is the Labour Party that seems to be facing the biggest challenge in terms of knowing how to address his issue, there is an interesting article in The New Statesman today:

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/the-staggers/2012/01/labour-market-benefits-support

..interesting thoughts on where Labour should be focused.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – a basic error right at the beggining of that piece

and the jobs she’s qualified to do would almost certainly leave her worse off.

Is simply not true. In work benefits mean she would be significantly better off. therefore the whole piece is of no value as they are arguing from a wrong premise.

Not suprising from another right wing propaganda organ

The illustration looks like an ex council house – that piece says there is no chance of her getting a council house. My point reinforced – the major issue here is the lack of affordable housing

Who removed the ability of the councils to set fair rent? who ensured that council housing was in short supply? Both tory policies and this is the foreseeen result.

konabunny
    Free Member

I have never mentioned JSA

Which benefit could this possibly be referring to:

Is it:

a) Tone deaf organ grinder’s monkey benefit?
    b) XC jeyboy benefit?
    c) Jobseeker’s Allowance?

elzorillo
    Free Member

Is it:

a) Tone deaf organ grinder’s monkey benefit?
    b) XC jeyboy benefit?
    c) Jobseeker’s Allowance?

So is someone on benefits shown in my calculations above not required to look for work?

Edit: I truly dont get where you’re coming from.. I say that the above unemployed family with receive £24k.. you pretty much call me a liar.. I show you the results from the gov page.. still I’m a liar.. I give you a link to the site so you can check the figures.. still a liar..

You sir, are a buffoon.

allthepies
    Free Member

Not suprising from another right wing propaganda organ

The New Statesman ?

<raises eyebrow>

konabunny
    Free Member

So is someone on benefits shown in my calculations above not required to look for work?

No. They could be in work and below the means testing income thresholds.

£24k for popping down to the job centre once a while with a list of companies I unsuccessfully contacted looking for work…easy money.

You don’t get 24k on JSA.

I never said you did.

elzorillo
    Free Member

No. They could be in work and below the means testing income thresholds.

I already said they were both unemployed about half a dozen times.

Junkyard
    Free Member

if you get income support you dont need to sign on so you would not be going into a job centre to prove anything- this is a fact and not just an Internet fact*.
    Only JSA required you to sign on
    It is a fairly meaningless STW spat though
    TJ iam not sure you can claim someone will always be “significantly better of “. Better off yes but significantly No.
    It could easily be less than 100 per month before travel for example

* to save time arguing
    Income Support is extra money to help people on a low income. It’s for people who don’t have to sign on as unemployed. Whether you qualify or not and how much you get depends on your circumstances. Find out more, including who can get it.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/On_a_low_income/DG_10018708

konabunny
    Free Member

I already said they were both unemployed about half a dozen times.

They wouldn’t need to be unemployed to be on those benefits. Someone on benefits shown in your calculations would not be required to look for work to receive those benefits. They could already have work.

And so the comment

£24k for popping down to the job centre once a while with a list of companies I unsuccessfully contacted looking for work…easy money.

doesn’t make any sense because the benefits received are not tied to unemployment and the receipt of unemployment benefit would only reduce the amount of those benefits actually received (ignoring, of course, that neither “council tax benefit” i.e. the negation of an obligation to pay tax and housing benefit is actually money received by the claimants). Get it?

elzorillo
    Free Member

Junkyard: so I get the £24k and I dont even have to prove I’m looking for work? this gets better all the time

konabunny
    Free Member

God damn those pesky, lazy cretins working away!

so I get the £24k and I dont even have to prove I’m looking for work?

Or, to put it another way, you can be in work and still in need of benefits.

Lifer
    Free Member

elzorillo – Member
    Lifer: Konabunny:

I dont know why you insist in twisting my words..

I quoted you directly. In full.

elzorillo – Member
    Junkyard: so I get the £24k and I dont even have to prove I’m looking for work? this gets better all the

You think someone gets £24k income support?

yunki
    Free Member

muslamic rayguns

clubber
    Free Member

Those are my favourite weapons in Call of Duty. Awezoms

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Sorry to come late to the party, I’ve been busy earning a living 😀

Junky

Wages are too low. If the bare minimum a society decides you need to live on is only marginally less than a wage you can earn from work then the problem lies with the wages not the benefits.
    Many billion pound profit making multinationals pay the minimum wage for example. I would target these before those out of work as they can actually afford to do something about this.

Isn’t that a fairly strong argument for the good old free market?

If the companies don’t pay enough for people to live on, then they need to pay more, or lose their staff, rather than the taxpayer artificially boosting low wages… if anything, its an argument for lower benefits.

elzorillo
    Free Member

Lifer: You think someone gets £24k income support?

I cant make it any clearer than the breakdown (screenshot) I posted above. Why you feel the need to ignore it is your business.

To repeat myself yet again.. £24k is the total benefits for the above family where both adults are unemployed and living in a very modest (£400 pm) rented property.

Figures from official site.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes the days before we had benefits when the free market reigned were not the dark satanic mills of folk lore but a time of unbridled opportunity and wealth for the poor [ i am not sure how we had poor people before we had benefits though if it is so good ah well lets not dwell on that]. Its one of the free markets greatest strengths and you are right unregulated capitalist hell bent on profit at all costs would indeed look after their workers and not drive wages down.If the history of capitalism [ and the recent banking fiasco] has taught us one thing it is surely that regulation is bad and markets really work for the betterment of the poor.

Benefits were a response to the inequities of the market not the cause of it.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Its one of the free markets greatest strengths and you are right unregulated capitalist hell bent on profit at all costs would indeed look after their workers and not drive wages down

http://www.saltairevillage.info/

Home

Junkyard
    Free Member

you missed out bournville and obviously I could not post up anything to show poor living conditions, low wages or poverty anywhere at that time- it was a magical time for the working classes at the time till the unions, voting,regulation and the welfare state ruined it for them

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

JY – the smiley button is in the top right hand corner!! 😉

yunki
    Free Member

the source of Elzorillos slightly maniacal knee-jerking..

found on the ‘things you have lying around the home that you don’t know what to do with’ thread..

A 22 year old unemployed son, happy and perfectly willing to spend the rest of his days either in bed or playing computer games !

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 340 total)

The topic ‘Could you live on £26,OOO per year. DC content’ is closed to new replies.