Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Could what’s happened in Spain with Catalonia declaring independence
  • mickmcd
    Free Member

Happen in the U.K.?

You know those pesky Scots and Irish breaking free

bikebouy
    Free Member

Again?

slowoldman

You mean Yorkshire?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Possibly.

I suspect the SNP will be calling for a referendum if/when Brexit goes ahead, I also suspect the EU will offer them Immediate (re)entry into the club too.

mickmcd
    Free Member

I mean Yorkshire 😉

It would likely be less violent with defence cuts meaning fewer soldiers and police seriously understaffed …. I recon an entire coup could be possible

stumpyjon

I suspect they won’t if Spain has anything to do with the decision on Scottish re-entry.

matt_outandabout

Happen to the UK? Yes. Brexit.

😉

Edukator
    Free Member

If Yorkshire looks like declaring independance the fist thing you’l hear is that the Halifax will move its headquarters out of Yorkshire, unless Scotland declares independance at teh smae time in which case HBOS will move its operations to Luxembourg.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Edukator the HQ of the “Halifax” (Halifax Bank of Scotland) is in London as its just a brand now since they blew up. It’s simply part of Lloyds

OP yes in theory, Sturgeon certainly was talking that way. As I posted on the other thread such a move by Scotland would be economic suicide. Even during the Indy Ref 1 where the Edinburgh Agreement meant the UK had to cooperate with the seperation the SNP had no real plans for currency etc and an economic strategy based on oil at $100. A declaration of UDI would be a catastrophe

seosamh77
    Free Member

You can only get away with UDI if you’ve got 90%+ support. No where in the uk has that. So nah, it would be stupid to do so.

seosamh77
    Free Member

plus look at the EU and EU nations reaction to the catalan predictament. UDI in a european context without something approaching unanimous support isn’t just separatism, it’s isolationism.

Edukator
    Free Member

I didn’t think that needed a smiley, I was wrong.

edhornby

Given that Barcelona/catalonia is the richest bit of Spain it would be the equivalent of London snapping itself off the UK… But being rich ain’t everything, you can’t eat money

chip
    Free Member

The Scots don’t want to leave the U.K..

aP
    Free Member

Spain has less than 40 years of democracy after having been a fascist dictatorship for the previous 40 years. I don’t think the UK has that history. And anyway the armed services couldn’t hold a tea party at current funding. Our MBTs are a global joke – digital camouflage to disguise the lack of meaningful upgrades – and an aircraft carrier with no planes for a decade. Need I say more?

goldfish24

I personally am looking forward to the hoummus wars. That’s my distopian vision of the future, when hoummus becomes the ultimate resource to be fought over.

zippykona

If Catalonia doesn’t want to be Spanish anymore can I put Surrey forward to take their place?

hodgynd
    Free Member

Yorkshire..?
    More likely to happen in the Democratic Republic of Geordieland than Yorkshire ..
    I mean hell what has Yorkshire got going for it . 8)

wilburt
    Free Member

If Yorkshire breaks free it’ll be as an islamic state, interesting question though.

East Anglia has form but its never worked out well.

grtdkad

Free Cornwall !

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Could what’s happened in Spain with Catalonia declaring independence’ is closed to new replies.