Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Could STW become the new Sheldon Brown ?
  • kudos100
    Free Member

STW life seems to attract people who spout complete bollox, but have an unwavering belief in what they talk about.

ftfy

I feel for you if your life mirrors STW.

acehtn
    Free Member

I have been on cycling forums from around the globe, they have all pointed to Sheldon Brown. Afraid i can’t say the same for STW.

Sheldon Brown should be required reading.

2 pages and no mention of lynch mobs or pitchforks 🙂

Perhaps Sheldon is to become like the Old Testament of cycling and anything thing else will just be a V.02 or crap movie sequel 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

Rusty Spanner – Member

Ok:
    High Rollers/Damp Hands or whatever is currently fashionable are the best tyres ever, for everyone.
    No one needs a compact/triple.
    Everyone needs tubeless/dropper posts.
    Wider bars are always better.
    Crank lengths don’t matter.
    Mainstream bike brands are crap.
    Oversimplification about frame materials.
    And a particular favourite, no serious mtb’er would ride at night with a cheap light.

All examples of one size fits all tossery and ill informed opinion masquerading as fact.

What did Sheldon have to tell us about all these things?

Never really a fan of Sheldon’s site tbh, I’m sure it’s great for a roadie or anyone who hasn’t bought a bike part since 1990 but it’s just not often all that useful any more. And he was too keen on the old sweeping statement, which was fine at the time but means as things changed, his advice which was perfectly good at the time became less reliable.

Park Tools is much more useful IMO.

But a combination of some basic mechanical nous, and some skepticism, and google combined will fix most things now. Generally the crap advice is not hard to pick out, I think in the last few years I’ve only been caught out once.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Could STW become the new Sheldon Brown ?’ is closed to new replies.