Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Could someone measure a 27.5 tyre for me?
  • nemesis
    Free Member

I’m building up a bike for nem jnr and would like to see if a 27.5 wheel would fit in the 26″ fork I have. I’m thinking of some fairly small tyres (max 2.0 wide) as he doesn’t need anything too big yet.

The measurements I’m after are tyre height (from rim to top of tyre – should be 5cm ish) and max width of 2.0 or less tyre.

TIA

nemesis
    Free Member

bump

honourablegeorge

What fork is it? Sombody will already have tried it

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nemesis
    Free Member

It’s an old Marz bomber 26″ (Z3 IIRC)

I’ve fitted a 27.5 wheel in it (no tyre) and that leaves 5.5 cm clearance from the rim to the fork arch. I figure that a 27.5 x 2.0 tyre will be around 5cm tall which would be marginal but potentially useable – if it’s less than that though, then I think it’s a goer. As it’s for my son who still reasonably light I figure he could also potentially get away with a smaller tyre if necessary to lower the height.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

When I did it on a more recent fork it was a problem at full travel onto the crown so it had a nice little bite as I went there so let all the air out and try it

amedias
    Free Member

Too much variation between tyres anyway, one manufacturers 2.0 is another’s 1.9 or 2.1, and rim width cna also make a few mm difference even with the same tyre.

Only way to know for sure is whack the tyre on and fully compress fork and check all clearances, if you change tyre or wheel, repeat.

chiefgrooveguru

MTB tyres are usually very similar in width and height, so a true 2.0″ will be 51mm wide and 51mm high.

Would he not be better off on 26″ wheels as that’ll give him a lower BB, greater standover and less rotational inertia to overcome?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

MTB tyres are usually very similar in width and height, so a true 2.0″ will be 51mm wide and 51mm high.

LOL!!!! I’ve had tyres from the same brand were way off

chiefgrooveguru

Read it again. I’m talking about the ratio of width to height, not the actual sizes (which suggest the engineering departments and marketing departments usually exchange dimension data through nothing more accurate than wax crayon scribblings done by their children).

nemesis
    Free Member

I already have 27.5 wheels…

deadkenny
    Free Member

Will vary per tyre, brand, manufacturer and also depends on the rim itself. A wide rim will work out a different height to a narrow. That’s why Wide Trail tyres exist from Maxxis.

Try this out though. It’s a database of many common tyres of various sizes and how they measure on different rims.

http://www.reifenbreiten-datenbank.de/reifen.html

teethgrinder

Fancy some 26″ wheels?

nemesis
    Free Member

Only if they’re very cheap but feel to email me

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Could someone measure a 27.5 tyre for me?’ is closed to new replies.