Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Could my laptop be hacked through a public wi-wi in a dodgy hotel?
  • zokes
    Free Member

You have an employer who is relaxed about security!

Hence why he can afford to be wrong for about 40 pages of thread on overtaking 😆

xiphon
    Free Member

If you have a home server on 24/7, then you can do ssh tunnel too. Simple in Linux (and probably OSX), or with Putty on windows.

You do realise, that if the OP was asking about his laptop getting hacked through WiFi, I doubt he’ll understand a word of that….

footflaps

You do realise, that if the OP was asking about his laptop getting hacked through WiFi, I doubt he’ll understand a word of that….

or just pay for this: https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

dh
    Free Member

I dont know if this is still useful these days – i don’t use facebook etc., but this was quite interesting when i played with it a year or so ago..

firesheep

scuttler

This is all about low hanging fruit. Poorly configured security, lazy or uniformed users and easy hacks.

If you’re a corporate heavyweight or just using work gear and for work purposes I hope to god your security team make sure you’re aware of the risks and have controls to prevent mistakes.

If you have things to hide then you’d better be well versed in security practices.

If you’re neither then it’s basic education, consumer products and common sense. Not SSH tunnels to home routers. Ask yourself whether your mum could manage it. Mines just learnt not to click on links in emails that don’t (including when the mouse is hovered over) look 100% legit.

footflaps

If you’re neither then it’s basic education, consumer products and common sense.

In somewhere like Nigeria it is very likely that everything from a wifi hot spot is going through a linux box filtering all http traffic for passwords etc send in clear text and possibly implementing man in the middle attacks for some websites. It’s a complete industry out in some places. Even in a big posh hotel there will be staff skimming credit cards at reception etc…

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Could my laptop be hacked through a public wi-wi in a dodgy hotel?’ is closed to new replies.