Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Could Britain single handily boost the world trade market?
  • Kryton57

The bent bananas comment had me thinking; if we are free from now those restrictions, we could negotiate trade deals to buy all of the worlds “waste” we need currently rejected by the EU – bent bananas, crooked cucumbers, lopsided leeks etc at cheap prices. We could reduce global wastage a bit and cash in on cheaper product at the same time.

Just a thought.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Call Hugh F-W linky

TheBrick
    Free Member

Bent bananas is a myth though, so i don’t think it will work.

spchantler
    Free Member

Ah, the bent banana myth. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one that isn’t bent

mattyfez

Yeh it’s a complete myth.
    However the buyers that work for supermarkets do stipulate certain ‘quality’ standards that does result in a lot of waste.

Drac

Free from restrictions that we weren’t restricted under anyway.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Free from restrictions that we weren’t restricted under anyway.

True that our fishing fleet weren’t ‘restricted’ as such but had to share what was historically theirs since time immaterial.

http://ukandeu.ac.uk/british-fishermen-want-out-of-the-eu-heres-why/

Dunno about the steel industry but that’s been decimated while we’ve been an EU member seemingly cos of cheaper steel from China. I honestly don’t know how that works.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Dunno about the steel industry but that’s been decimated while we’ve been an EU member seemingly cos of cheaper steel from China. I honestly don’t know how that works.

Probs because that was the fault of the Thatcher govt and nothing to do with the EU.
    I stubbed my toe while we were members of the EU, I don’t know what to think or who to blame. 🙄

edhornby

As the cost of imported food rises, expect to see lots of programmes on the telly about veg growing and 1000 things to cook with cauliflower. Supermarkets will be desperate to take whatever shape of parsnip

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Thatcher? So it took 26 years & no-one noticed?

Drac

True that our fishing fleet weren’t ‘restricted’ as such but had to share what was historically theirs since time immaterial.

Fishing for bananas?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Drac

Ah cheers Cap’n, silly me.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Thatcher? So it took 26 years & no-one noticed?

I think you’ll find that plenty of people noticed.
    I am, however, looking forward to more cod wars and the depletion of fish stocks. Got to be a step forward, innit?

richc
    Free Member

Wasn’t bent bananas a Boris EU myth that he circulated before he got sacked for lying? Like vegolate, smaller condoms, square tomatoes and not being able to buy a bunches of bananas with more than 3 on a stalk.

sharkbait
    Free Member

http://ukandeu.ac.uk/british-fishermen-want-out-of-the-eu-heres-why/
    I believe the fishermen want out because they believe their quotas will rise – the problem here is in some areas they are destroying the breeding stocks of certain fish. For example sea bass – leisure fishermen are not allowed to take any fish before July 1st and then only 1 fish per day, while the commercial fisherman 500m off the shore has had their quota increased to 1.2 tons per month. It’s crazy, and the fishermen want even more ……. selfish t***s.
    Meanwhile in Ireland commercial bass fishing has been banned and stocks have recovered well creating to a multi-million pound industry as leisure fishermen travel over to fish for these fantastic fish – with far more people are benefiting from this ‘new’ industry.

tomd
    Free Member

No one can actually be thick enough to a) believe the banana thing and b) think we can build a world leading economy trading wonky fruit and veg can they?

Please let it be a troll.

molgrips
    Free Member

all of the worlds “waste” we need currently rejected by the EU – bent bananas, crooked cucumbers, lopsided leeks etc

Serious?

You’ve always been allowed to buy and sell wonky fruit and veg. You jsut weren’t allowed to call them perfect, they had to be class I or II.

el_boufador

it sells papers though, doesn’t it.

Kryton57

Well, think about it. There’s a shitloadnof profit that farmers throw in the bin because of said criteria. Now imagine if you took all that waste and sold it. Let alone the conciencious perspective, each item of produce now reveals more profit. Take Leeks for example, it was recently revealed we only receive 20% of the original product. Imagine if the other 80% could be sold. The whole agricultural industry would be in a very different place.

Mackem

Wales would be thriving again.

grantway
    Free Member

Thought all the crooked fruit/vegetables was bought by the sandwich/pre made food makers

tomd
    Free Member

Just thick then.

irvb

I’ve just read the excellent “The Western Flyer” by Kevin Bailey – uncontrolled fishing never ends well, for the fish, or the humans who think there is unlimited supply.

Kryton57

Just thick then

No, that’s my point it’s regardless of the size shape or wonky leaves.

alpin
    Free Member

Boost world economy in the back of fruit and veg that for the most part we import….?

The OP is either a troll or a moron. I hope for the former.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

No one can actually be thick enough to a) believe the banana thing

Some people are thick enough, if that’s the term you want to use, to believe that the EU didn’t express an opinion that a banana should be of the correct and proper curvature.

COMMISSION REGULATION (EC) No 2257/94 of 16 September 1994

Laying down quality standards for bananas.

Having regard to Council Regulation (EEC) No 404/93 of 13 February 1993 on the common organization of the market in bananas (1), as amended by Commission Regulation (EC) No 3518/93 (2), and in particular Article 4 thereof, Whereas Regulation (EEC) No 404/93 makes provision for laying down common quality standards for bananas

HAS ADOPTED THIS REGULATION:

Article 3
    This Regulation shall enter into force on 1 January 1995.
    This Regulation shall be binding in its entirety and directly applicable in all Member States.

In all classes, subject to the special provisions for each class and the tolerances allowed, the bananas must be :

— free from malformation or abnormal curvature of the fingers

So there you have it. According to COMMISSION REGULATION (EC) No 2257/94 of 16 September 1994 a banana with an abnormal curvature is not allowed – only bananas with normal curvatures are allowed.

Unfortunately despite obviously spending a lot of time and effort, and presumably also a fair amount of money on the issue, the EU Commission doesn’t actually stipulate what constitutes “normal curvature”.

Which is really rather unhelpful. After all no one wants to fall foul of a binding EU regulation if they can help it.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CONSLEG:1994R2257:20060217:EN:PDF

Now that we are going to leave the EU I don’t know how we are going to manage without their Bendy Banana Law…….how will shoppers manage? Will we be at the mercy of Tory governments? I’m so depressed.

maccruiskeen

Wasn’t bent bananas a Boris EU myth that he circulated before he got sacked for lying?

It had a grain of truth – nothing in ‘banned’ but bananas are classified in terms quality – Class 1, Class 2 and ‘Extra Class’. Shape and size being part of that classification. Its only bananas sold as ‘Extra Class’ that are subject to any conditions relating to shape – not that they should be straight but that they should not be misshapen. Anything not meeting that criteria would just be classed or graded differently.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It had a grain of truth – nothing in ‘banned’ but….

So they didn’t mean it when they said “This Regulation shall be binding in its entirety and directly applicable in all Member States.” they were just joking…….it was just a big “banana joke”.

Well as long as the EU Commission can use the Edinburgh Defence I don’t see a problem.

And it’s nice to know that someone in Brussels has a sense of humour.

slowoldman

Bent bananas is a myth though, so i don’t think it will work.

I bet roughly 50% of the population still believe it.

jimdubleyou

1994 banana regulations were updated in 2011.

You’re well out of date on your EU law cherry picking Ernie…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I see, it’s all ok and no criticism should be leveled at the EU because they repealed the Bendy Banana Law in 2011? I can’t see why anyone made a fuss then.

Anyone who thought the EU was concerned about the curvature of a banana is really stupid because that was then not now.

But does the EU still require that bananas be at least 14cm long? And how do you measure it – straight, or follow the curve? I think I might have eaten an illegal banana last week. If it happens again I want to complain.

EDIT : BTW I haven’t been “cherry picking”, I didn’t bring up bananas, some one else did. A couple of people I think.

atlaz
    Free Member

I see, it’s all ok and no criticism should be leveled at the EU because they repealed the Bendy Banana Law in 2011? I can’t see why anyone made a fuss then.

As you’ve seen, it didn’t BAN overly bendy bananas it just required them to be classified differently. Anyway, I’m not sure that the UK’s burgeoning banana farming industry was overly impacted by it.

That UK supermarkets choose to only get the bananas that confirm to the highest standard is nothing to do with the EU. Over here you’ve always been able to buy class II bananas (they’re cheaper and the bend turns out not to impact the flavour unsurprisingly).

grantway
    Free Member

At the end of the day we do have high level products to sell and have always sold very well through out the world

Then you have the Forign investment and do you really think they are to pull out? Nope because they get massive handouts and the workers rights are far less here than in Europe and then we have the Energy companies are they to pull out when they charge more here to subsidise the end cost to the people in Europe.

We here buy more cars than the rest of Europe and if not most personal property within the EU and we also holiday more in the EU. So can the EU afford to be funny!
    That is worth more in long term loss than business can bring in for the EU

So if the EU want to play games then bring it on

atlaz
    Free Member

We here buy more cars than the rest of Europe

Not true. In 2015 the UK bought 20.8% of the NEW cars in the EU15 block, Germany bought 25.1%. Proportional to population though, the UK and Germany are about equal on approx 40 per thousand but half that of Luxembourg (80 per thousand) (Source ACEA)

and we also holiday more in the EU

Not true. The French and the Germans travel more (although the French for less days on average) and the Spanish are close. It’s fair to say that the UK spends more on EU holidays than EU people spend in the UK though but it’s hard to say whether the impact of a Brexit will be less tourism in the UK. The deficit in 2014 was 12B euros, lets see for 2016 (but, other than a shitty pound, I bet British people will still travel as much to Europe). (Source: eurostat)

atlaz
    Free Member

More worrying from a Brexit/Car PoV is that the UK is Europe’s second largest car exporter. Obviously a dirt cheap pound won’t damage that but who knows what happens in the trade negotiations; it’s not that hard to put tariffs to equalise the savings made by buying in a weak currency.

philxx1975
    Free Member

Britain struggles to wipe its own arse.

slowoldman

More worrying from a Brexit/Car PoV is that the UK is Europe’s second largest car exporter.

Until the factories get moved.

CaptJon
    Free Member

grantway – Member
    Thought all the crooked fruit/vegetables was bought by the sandwich/pre made food makers

Yep, those leeks OP is talking about end up in soup.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

So there you have it. According to COMMISSION REGULATION (EC) No 2257/94 of 16 September 1994 a banana with an abnormal curvature is not allowed – only bananas with normal curvatures are allowed.

Yeah, except that’s not what the text that was posted actually says, is it?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Could Britain single handily boost the world trade market?’ is closed to new replies.