Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Could anyone make a Bronze/Brass QR bush for my BOS DeVille's?
  • Speeder

The little plastic bush that sits under the QR lever on my DeVilles’s has snapped in half and I don’t really want to ride them without it. Jungle have no spares and I’ve been waiting a week for them to get any response from France.

Rather than just sit here waiting I thought it might be possible to get one made up and improve somewhat on the design/materials as the little plastic thing is horrid.

I’ve copied the existing design as best as I can measure it here, thickened it up a little to give it a fighting chance of surviving and changed the material for Phosphor Bronze, Oilite (preferred), Brass or similar so it’s a bit less grabby and more solid feeling.

Could anyone make me one as a foreigner? I will happily pay but the chances of getting a machine shop to do it and not getting charged a fortune are slim and it’s the sort of thing that could be knocked up out of scrap in a lunch break.

Here’s a pic of the drawing.

If you think you can do it PM me a price (inc postage) and we’ll take it from there.

Cheers

Gaz

Candodavid
    Free Member

Take that to a local machine shop, knock you one up in 30 minutes, go to a small independent, you may be surprised

wee-al
    Free Member

Sent my mate a link, he’s going to have a look tomorrow, not promising anything but i’ll let you know.

ajantom

I will happily pay but the chances of getting a machine shop to do it and not getting charged a fortune are slim and it’s the sort of thing that could be knocked up out of scrap in a lunch break.

But there’s the rub – you’re paying for the skills and knowledge not the materials. As someone who teaches this kind of thing, this attitude does annoy me….’Why should I pay for it, it’s only little/cheap/easy to make, etc. etc.’
    Most things cost pence if you look at just the raw material, but someone still needs to make it.

Stevet1
    Free Member

try intrincycle, run by a retrobike member.

http://intrincycle.co.uk/

Speeder

ajantom – Member
    I will happily pay but the chances of getting a machine shop to do it and not getting charged a fortune are slim and it’s the sort of thing that could be knocked up out of scrap in a lunch break.
    But there’s the rub – you’re paying for the skills and knowledge not the materials. As someone who teaches this kind of thing, this attitude does annoy me….’Why should I pay for it, it’s only little/cheap/easy to make, etc. etc.’
    Most things cost pence if you look at just the raw material, but someone still needs to make it.

I’m more than happy to pay someone to an hourly rate to make the thing but I don’t want to pay a minimum order charge or get involved in quoting, invoicing, overheads etc which all just add to the cost. To me it’s worth up to £20 if someone can do it and that’d be cash for the part. I wasn’t trying to get it “on the cheap” just trying to get it done quickly and give someone the opportunity to make a bit of cash.

If I still worked in a place with machine tools I’d do it myself but I don’t. I could buy it and make it with a hack saw and files but it’d be badger rough but I’d have still have to buy a lump of oilite that’d cost me 15 and I’d use 5% of it. This is a scrap bin off-cut qty so I’m expecting the matl cost to be minimal.

Sorry if my initial post offended but you’ve got the erong end of the stick.

Gaz

porter_jamie

thats a 100 quid job for a one off really. i have a bit off colisbro (valve guide material) but it’s easily an hour and a half to make it by the time you set up the machine.

wee-al
    Free Member

speeder e-mail sent to e-mail in profile. Let me know if you got it. Hopefully sorted

mick_r

I’d agree with porter-jamie – it would be a long lunch break to make that. If it were just a circular bush then it would be quick and easy to make on a small lathe – and lots of people on here would do it for you, probably foc. As it is, there are a few ways it could be made, most of which would involve multiple machines.

At a pinch you could get a tube turned with a 16mm bore and then just do the rest to a reasonable standard by hand (hacksaw, file and drill). In the age of CAD and CNC people seem to forget that option exists.

However it still looks like there might be one or two people that can help. If you really want to spruce up the forks then why not ask for a free / cheap sticker job from the STW forum graphic designers and see what response comes back 🙂

Speeder

Jamie/Mick Thanks for the input. I know from a shop point of view it’s a £100 job as most things are cos they’re just not worth the hassle.

I know how I’d make it in various scenarios depending on available machinery and material. With a mill, a vice, a parallel, an end mill, a 5.5mm drill, a Ø16mm cutter and bit of 1/4 plate, it’s a bit of hack-sawing and 2, possibly 3 setups. If you don’t have the material it’s not worth starting, if you only have several hundred thousands worth of 5 axis CNC it’s not worth looking at but for someone it could be worth the time spent for a bit of beer money.

I understand the parallels with the oft quoted graphic design story but I’m not promising any cut of future profits or that it would be good for anyone’s career. Just a bit of money in exchange for someone’s time if they have the facilities.

Anyway it seems like Allan’s mate has sorted it so so many thanks to him. Just goes to prove that what goes around comes around on here as much as anywhere else.

Cheers

G

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Could anyone make a Bronze/Brass QR bush for my BOS DeVille's?’ is closed to new replies.