Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Could a mug like me build a brick shed?
  • jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I’m toying with the idea of building a brick shed, in new home and need bike storage as secure as possible.
    I don’t mind putting in the labour, digging foundations I can do myself I reckon, how hard is it for someone with no experience, the roof frightens me more than the rest of it to be honest.

cloudnine
    Free Member

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/wall-building-tool

You can order the roof trusses made to the correct size..

nickjb
    Free Member

It’s pretty easy. It’ll take you longer than a pro and you’ll likely get a less good finish but it is satisfying to learn and do. Roof is easy especially if you can borrow an extra pair of hands. Plenty if online guides and YouTube videos or ask questions on here as you go if you can live with the critical replies.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Brilliant, cheers. Might have to give this a go, I’ll have a look at some videos later on. My life isn’t complete without a man cave.

sandwicheater

Was having a ponder about this last week. Shed has seen better days and would be good to replace with something a bit more substantial.

Would you need planning? As I see it, the building would no longer be a temporary structure.

EDIT: Sorry, slight hi-jack. FYI, no, you couldn’t build one OP. It’s your eyes, just too soft. Sorry. Think poetry will be up your street though.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I did a bit of reading into this, found this text from homebuilding.co.uk website

“The extension does not sit forward of the principal elevation.
    Materials should be similar.
    Where it is within 2m of any boundary, the eaves cannot be higher than 3m, and no more than 4m in height otherwise.
    Rear extensions — no more than 4m in depth (detached house) or 3m in depth (semi-detached or terrace).
    Side extensions — the width of the extension must not be greater than half the width of the original dwelling. Side extensions are not permitted on Article 1(5) Land (e.g. AONB, Conservation Areas).”

nickjb
    Free Member

There’s a list of planning exemptions but as long as you don’t live somewhere special (national park, conservation area, etc) then keep the roof under 2.5m and you are fine. Look at the planning portal for details.

Edit; from that ^^^ it sounds like you are planning an attached shed. That complicates things a bit as you’ll need building regs. Planning portal is the place to look.

fasthaggis

OP
    Are you a world class faffer or a ‘won’t stop till it’s done’ type?
    How much spare time do you have ?

My slaves brickies took 3 days for the walls and the joiner a day for the roof .
    With the time I have spare,I would have taken months*.

* which it still did take on all the finishing off bits and bobs 😳

Onzadog
    Free Member

Keep the eves below 2.5 and the pitch can go up to 4.0m providing your 2m from any boundary.

I think permitted development can be harder than the actual construction.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I’m the kind of person who likes to give things a go and learn while i’m doing it, I do like a faff to be honest, but if it would have taken you months, that might put me off a little, I need somewhere ‘safe’ to put my bikes.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I replaced the roof and some brickwork/lintels on a stable we have – hugely satisfying. Have a go…. the worst that can happen is that you end up getting someone in to finish it.
    I’m sure you’d get a lot of support and advice on here.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

No, I’m thinking of doing it at the bottom of the garden, a secondary bonus is that the 2 knackered old wooden shed that will be removed leave a huge gap at the bottom of the garden and a wall/fence would need putting there anyway.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

That’s generally the way I like to do things sharkbait. Read up and get advice, give it a go myself and if I cock it up I’ll get someone in and then get them to explain where I went wrong so I learn from my (normally stupid) mistakes.

Silly question 1-is the door a difficult job?

Silly question 2- What kind of price for materials?

40mpg

I’d avoid having a brick finish if I was you. Getting brickwork to look neat and tidy, all pointed up without mortar smears all over is something that only comes with a lot of practice.

Far simpler to construct the walls from concrete blocks (and quicker, and cheaper) and then batten the outside and clad with timber or other board material of your choice.

40mpg

SQ1 – Door needn’t be difficult. Make sure you form the opening to a standard door size. Then for real ease, buy a pre-hung doorset (door is already fitted into frame). Fix door into opening.

SQ2 – That kinda depends how big you want it! And how you want it finished internally and externally – Brick/block/cladding walls, roof finish (tiles/shingles/felt), internal wall finish (paint/plasterboard), floor finish (vinyl/epoxy floor paint/tiled), any windows too? Power and lighting? Wood burning stove? sofa and scatter cushions? (Sorry getting carried away now)

mark90
    Free Member

Far simpler to construct the walls from concrete blocks (and quicker, and cheaper) and then batten the outside and clad with timber or other board material of your choice.

This is what a mate did when building is shed/workshop. The be fair the block work does look quiet tidy inside, but the wood cladding on the outside looks much better than brick or block and render. A nice felt shingle roof to finish it off too.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I knocked down and rebuilt the stone wall at the end of our garden about 9 years ago. Zero experience of anything like that but took my time and heck, its still standing there, rock solid with a fence bolted to the top of it.

Whats the worst that could happen?

40mpg

^^ That is class! So, so many things wrong, I can’t see anything that actually right!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Well, the pointing’s neat enough. 😆

allthepies
    Free Member

😯

dirtyrider
    Free Member

😆 must be more to that story

fasthaggis

^^ That is class! So, so many things wrong, I can’t see anything that actually right!

It just bent the needle on the wrong meter 😀

fasthaggis

This was my route.

pictonroad

that brickwork photo is incredible, it may be the best thing I’ve seen all year.

And that kids, is why you should play with lego.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

What was your total cost of that roughly, if you don’t mind me asking fasthaggis?

perchypanther
    Free Member

That is class! So, so many things wrong, I can’t see anything that actually right!

Well, he seems to be wearing gloves. It’s encouraging to see that they’re making safety a priority. I’m sure they’ll provide adequate protection. 😯

Also glad to see that a fellow panther has photobombed the fasthaggis shed picture. Quality.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I knocked down and rebuilt the stone wall at the end of our garden about 9 years ago.

How many times did you need to knock down and rebuild until you got it right?

How much did those bendibricks cost 🙂

beefheart
    Free Member

Zero experience of anything like that….

Get outta town!

Saccades
    Free Member

Fast Haggis – I like that…. Can I ask about your foundation depth?

I’ve a concrete platform 6-8” deep metal grill reinforced with another 8” of aggregate underneath and I dunno if I can build a block wall on it due to strength.

My current plans are a 2 courses of block and then a wooden structure on top with covering down to near the bottom allowing a good 6” for splash protection. I’d much prefer your tyoe of build though.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Are those concrete construction blocks waterproof or do you have to put something on the outside?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Could a mug like me build a brick shed?’ is closed to new replies.