Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Could a gibbon with a hammer service a set of forks?
  • binners

A set of Rockshox Revs to be precise.

Or, if the limits of your mechanical competence are similar to an orangutan wielding a chainsaw, would you be best leaving it to someone who knows what they’re doing?

LoCo
    Free Member

Seem to manage ok most days 😆

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I don`t quite fit that description but even I managed it…………..

wwaswas

Didn’t hora regularly take his apart to fill them with beef dripping or something that would affect rebound damping?

If he could I’m sure you’ll be fine.

LoCo
    Free Member

That was float fluid for the damping I think, must have cost a fortune £8.99 for 8oz and there’s 160ml in the damper leg 😯

richmtb

Loco did a good job on mine

Its the one bit of bike maintenance i’ve never tried.

Aparently Rock Shox are easier than most. Once my forks are getting a bit old and tatty I’ll probably give it a go.

While they are still pretty nice I’ll leave it to the pro’s

mrbelowski
    Free Member

It’s easy (if a bit messy).

I managed to damage the air shaft nut when I was bashing it with a mallet. You got to give the damper and air shaft nuts a bit of a whack to free the internals but the air shaft nut is made of cheese so even a plastic mallet was enough to flatten the thread on the top so it wouldn’t go back on the shaft. Grrrr.

Apart from that, dead easy

unklehomered
    Free Member

An infinite number of Gibbons each with a hammer servicing an infinite number of Revs, one or two of them would come out OK.

Just give your self loads of time, get all the tools etc ready before handm, watch the Sram videos a few times, spread everything out over your work space so you’re not knocking bits over/loosing stuff, get a few rags ready, and or yeah, give yourself loads of time, you’ll be fine.

messiah
    Free Member

binners

That’s actually a pretty striking resemblance messiah

Righty ho – I think I’ll give it a go. What could possibly go wrong?

maxray
    Free Member

I may have to have a go at that as the lockout on mine seems to have stopped working 🙁

Craggyjim
    Free Member

Binners, bring them over if you want, two Gibbons may be better than one.

wwaswas

two Gibbons may be better than one.

+ infinity.

loum
    Free Member

Two gibbons one hammer?

binners

Cheers fella. I shall procure the parts this week mate, and bring over my largest hammer 😀

maxray
    Free Member

Having bad memories of trying to service my Manitou Black forks years ago so think I might just plump for a TF Tuned service.. least I know it will be done properly! 😀

binners

Are you sure you don’t want me to practice on yours before I do mine? 😀

wwaswas

niner recommend it for theirs;

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_O9PLorYPA[/video]

molgrips
    Free Member

The hardest part is managing the mess.

I would advise doing it in the kitchen or some other clean work area, you don’t want dirt and crud in there. Drain them over a large oil pan, let all the oil drain out and thoroughly clean all the oil off everything. Then you can work in the kitchen with ease and then neatly refil with oil when done.

In the past I washed the insides out of various forks with bottlebrush and water, to get them spotless. Wait til dry before reassembling of course.

Leku
    Free Member

A gibbon no, but this fella certainly…

Northwind

Lowers service is absolutely piss easy- if you can undo 2 bolts, wipe your bum, and pour a shot of whisky, you can service a Rev. Not all at the same time though.

Irish_AL
    Free Member

I seem to recall ‘grith’ serviced his psylo’s at cyb a few years back with a coke bottle and a rock 😯

hilton83
    Free Member

I serviced mine for the first time not so long ago (fox floats), the most important lesson i learned was that just because the oil came OUT of that hole does not mean it can go back IN that hole. Other than that it was very easy.

gibbonarms
    Free Member

I’m a gibbon and yes I can!

Lets face it, why give your LBS the easy job of when the fork is in one piece, make them work by giving them a broken jigsaw puzzle when you cant figure out how it all goes back together!

unklehomered
    Free Member

I can resist it no longer… [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAmx_XdQky8[/video]

Craggyjim
    Free Member

I’ve got to do an epoxy repair on my Rev stanchions so mine will be in bits at some point this week, no guarantee they’ll be the right bits though.

Bring the large hammer over, I have a large vice, what could possibly go wrong?

coatesy
    Free Member

Despite seeing him regularly, i’d not really give a second thought to Loco’s unusually long arms, and ginger hair, until reading this post. It’s all beginning to make sense now 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

twas my first thought .. they are even wearing appropriate fork servicing attire

takisawa2

What about bushes, can they be changed DIY ?
    My F29 RL’s have knocking bushes. Can they be swapped or are they sized to fit ?

LoCo ?

RustyMac

takisawa2 I am almost certain that bushes is a send away job. You need special Hones to size them.

continuity
    Free Member

160ml in the damper leg

rs revs

not to question you loco but,

you sure about that?

pretty sure it’s 135

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Could a gibbon with a hammer service a set of forks?’ is closed to new replies.