Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Coughing up blood in the mornings, that's bad right ?
  • trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Any docs about ? Had proper flu this year (I’ll never complain about having a cold again), but have been coughing up blood up the mornings for the past couple of days, mainly due to the fact that I haven’t stopped coughing and sneezing since December the 27th. Been through 2 bottles of cough syrup and still can’t shift it. Time to go to the GP or just shut up and get on with it ?

Really sorry if you’re having breakfast whilst reading this.

Oh, and as for the flu jab thread, usually I don’t bother, but next year I’lll be first in line, not doing this again.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Cough mixture has been proven to be a waist of time hasn’t it?

I had a chest infection just before Christmas and was coughing up blood. The doc said it was becuase my air ways were irritated from all the coughing.

However, if you had proper flu and didnt go and see a doc might be worth it don’t you think?

Drac

How much are we talking about?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I assume it’s not runny blood… think shot in the lungs movie style? 😯

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its unlikely to be anything serious but just in case it is you need to see your GP ASAP

dr_death
    Free Member

Probably just secondary to inflammation but you need to pop along and see your doc, make sure you’re not brewing something nastier.

(Chocolate [well, theobromine in chocolate] has been shown to be a better cough suppressant than over the counter cough medicines)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

No wonder the health service is on its knees the amount of time some of you guys must spend at the Doc’s!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“No wonder the health service is on its knees the amount of time some of you guys must spend at the Doc’s!”

So are you suggesting that trailofdestruction such just sit it out at home until he gets that ill he requires an ambulance to get him to hospital, and then 2-3 days admitted on a ward being pumped full of antibiotics etc.

Alternatively he could just go to his GP, check if everything is ok, if it is great, if not get treatment before he needs to be admitted to hospital which will cost in the thousands.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Not that much, and it’s only really when I first get up, think I picked up an infection on the way too, so it’s about 5ml or so, mixed in with sticky yellow mucus. Always panic a little bit when I see blood come up from my lungs.

Once again, sorry to those tucking into bacon sarnies. 😀

miketually
    Free Member

Probably nothing, but worth getting checked. Was a colleague’s first symptom of lung cancer and she didn’t see the following Christmas…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Sorry I’m feeling slighlty cantankerous this morning.

My 1 year old neice was taken to the Dr’s on Friday morning. The Dr said he couldn’t see anything really wrong with her, just that she had a virus, and to come back in 3 weeks (yes 3 WEEKS!!) if things hadn’t improved.

She’s been in hospital all weekend on a drip with mastoiditis (sp?), so the lesson here…

wellhung
    Free Member

Not that much, and it’s only really when I first get up, think I picked up an infection on the way too, so it’s about 5ml or so, mixed in with sticky yellow mucus. Always panic a little bit when I see blood come up from my lungs.

Once again, sorry to those tucking into bacon sarnies.

Put me right off me yoghurt 😛

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

trailofdestruction… do you sniff and swallow, or blow your nose?
    I’d guess you’ve damged your sinuses the snot is flowing back into your body… or I also need to go to Dr’s.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

TSY, sat it out for 2 weeks already dude. I am one of those guys who won’t go unless necessary, but at the start of week 3 and I’m still not getting any better, I think I could use a profesional opinion. No ?

Interesting about cough medecine, honestly didn’t know it wasn’t proven to work. Next time I’ll stock up on Green and Blacks instead of Venos.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’ve given you a professional opinion… ahh, you want a professional Dr. 😀

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

miketually – nothing like reassurance first thing in the morning 😕 I’m sorry about your colleauge though, that’s a terriblle thing to happen. The same goes to TSY, I hope your neice gets better soon.

do you sniff and swallow, or blow your nose?

As it happens I’m a blower rather than a swallower……hang on a sec that doesn’t sound right.

j_me
    Free Member

If you’re only coughing it up in the mornings then I would guess TSY is probably right. But don’t take our word for it check it out with a professional. Try Boots’ WebMD online 😉

If your cough is “productive”, i.e. you are bringing gunk up from your chest, then make sure the cough syrup isn’t a cough suppressant as this will be counter productive.

epicyclo

I used to be blase about flu and a great believer in MTFU, then in the space of a fortnight 2 people I knew who did MTFU, died.

I’m no medic but I take flu seriously now.

Maybe one of the doctors on here could comment on whether MTFUing is wise or not.

Woody
    Free Member

ToD

As an example, I bumped into a lady on a ward last night who I had taken into A&E a few days ago and was about to go home after 3 days on IV antibiotics. She had WTFU’ed since before xmas, became even worse, then waited 5 days before the GP could give her an appointment. By that time her oxygen levels were 81% (as opposed to normal of 95%+) and she in serious trouble.

It’s not people like you who clog up the GP surgeries. Get it checked!

MrsToast
    Free Member

My dad coughed up blood when he was in his 30s. It was TB (and he’d been vaccinated).

Go to the doctor’s!

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

ignore this one. oops.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Got an appointment for this afternoon, so I’ll check in later on to give the result.

Mrs Toast – I was watching Countyphile last night and joking about having TB like the cows (poor bloke, devastating thing to happen), but it did make me think. Did your dad recover ok ?

Woody – scary stuff dude. Point taken, I’m going t’docs.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Mrs Toast – I was watching Countyphile last night and joking about having TB like the cows (poor bloke, devastating thing to happen), but it did make me think. Did your dad recover ok ?

Yeah, he was fine – it was in the 70s, before I was born. He had to spend months in hospital (9 I think?), and 2 years on medication afterwards. They also found out he was horribly allergic to streptomycin, which is injected into the arse, so had to have an alternate medication in the form of tablets.

His favourite prank to pull on medical staff in his later years was to not mention his TB history when he had a chest x-ray, just to see the expression on their faces.

But yeah, not a nice illness at all!

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Hooray, I’m not going to die of TB, lung cancer or anything nasty or untreatable. As suspected, it’s the lining of my throat and sinuses which have effectively been swollen with infection and then shredded to bits with constant coughing. Nice.

Top tip, if you’re coughing up blood and it’s pink and frothy then it’s arterial and you should go to the doctors pronto. If it’s nice and red like mine, you’ve probabbly got an infection.

Antibiotics and no booze for a week and no bike for a fortnight (boo), and I should be fine. Damn flu, I’ve been robbed of 3 weeks of my life. I demand a refund.

This has been a public service announcement.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Cheers TofD. Sounds like I can stand at ease as I stopped coughing up blood and snot last week. 🙂

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Coughing up blood in the mornings, that's bad right ?’ is closed to new replies.